Re: [steiner] THE ABYSS

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2004
      tma4cbt@... writes:

      The ABYSS strikes me as being rather similar, in some respects, not
      all, to the Buddhist concept of Nirvana.  It must be approached in
      very succinct, deliberate manner, or else the individual cannot
      sustain its self.  It falls into the demonic.

      *******You could say it IS the Buddhist concept of Nirvana, and this touches on the reason why modern people trying to follow old Eastern paths become negative. What was a worthy goal to be attained in the time before Christ, when we were DESCENDING into incarnation, becomes in the time since His Advent an EVIL thing when striven for when we try to ASCEND.

         Look at the doctrine of the "attainment of non-attachment" as found in Buddha, for instance, and the effect of the identical doctrine propounded by Schopenhauer (it was Hitler's favorite).

         To negate the "self" was a worthy goal in pre-Christian times, because the "ego" or "I" we had before about the 5th century B.C. was a false one. But the Christ coming in to the earth was the historical parallel with our True Self coming in to us, so that now the "I" can become the Higher Self guiding one and so need not be removed, rather simply enlightened or purified. There is no need to destroy or get rid of the mind or ego, as one hears in so many Eastern-oriented religions today. This, in fact, is actually the same goal as in circles of drug addicts: destroy the Ego so we can be like animals again. Look at the demi-Eastern injunctions to 'be here now", to live only in the present (the astral), as animals do. To do so you must have no memory of past mistakes to learn from and follow no plan for your future---in other words, your ego stops developing, because such 'philosophies' as no-longer-appropriate Eastern paths and drug-induced 'mysticism' have no developmental aspect.

         In the modern day, this actually creates an emptiness all right, but most often not one that God occupies, but rather lower astral entites (as in mediumship). This is the Abyss we all must face in initiation, an emptiness which is actually an illusion just as death is only an illusion of nothingness. Find the One Who overcomes Death within and the Abyss is no longer empty!

      Dr. Starman.
      www.DrStarman.net
    • Br. Ron
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2004
        Dr. Starman,  your writing here is Qabalistic.
        ....both profound and astute, as usual!

        Br. Ron
[...]

        Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

        ommended books by Rudolf Steiner at: