Re: [steiner] Re: "Swedenborg's Power of Vision"", by Rudolf Steiner

  • sonia easley
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2004

      Sheila,

      I decided to read one of Swedenborg's books.  I understood that Heaven and Hell was the most popular.  I knew something was missing when I found no mention at all of reincarnation and karma.  Perhaps these subjects appear in another book by this author.

      Nevertheless, after reading the post by you, Swedenborg�s Power of Vision, I noted the comments by RS regarding Swedenborg not being able to understand the spirits from Mars, and also that we must be able to join the choir of angelic beings in order to truly understand truth without falling into pure imagination.  Steiner's respectful words related to Swedenborg's scientific contributions touched me.  And, RS pointed out that Swedenborg was a product of his time.

      In Karmic Relationships, Volume 8, RS stated his surprise that Loyola would pledge allegiance to the Popes' -unconditionally.  It is with this solemn dedication that Loyola stayed on after his earthly death to guide the Jesuit movement, even though, according to RS, the movement was taken over by less than good forces.  Then Loyola experiences his new expression as Emanual Swedenborg.

      It seems difficult to pull these two individualities together.  Knowing why they are related and relevant to each other is the intriguing puzzle for me at present

      Warmest regards,

      Sonia

      LilOleMissy <lilolemissy@...> wrote:
      It's amazing how much I learn for myself just by typing up such
      wonderful things, Sonia, and I'm the one to profit. I'm really happy to
      have made your day - :)  but I do wish we had something about Loyola
      other than what is found in the Kar. Rel. series and perhaps "somewhere"
      else! I'm beginning to wonder just where to look. Today in response to a
      kind friend, I became immersed in Steiner's November 1917 lectures, five
      entitled [in my 1946 edition!] "Psychoanalysis in the Light of
      Anthroposophy" and even though I'd read it before, I felt ashamed to
      have missed so very much, and in particular in regard to the effects we
      reap in subsequent lives from our current moral standards. So very much
      is explained I should have been using in my work, but to salve my
      bruised ego, I hastily recalled the fact that we don't absorb certain
      matters until we are ripe for them. :)

      I was very glad to see your recent question about the Etheric Christ and
      didn't know just what to say, nor do I now. All of us most definitely
      should wake up, and somehow I have the feeling that perhaps many people
      actually have! I hope that's not a contradiction in terms, since we're
      increasingly seeing ever more vicious attacks against Christianity per
      se - but then the Etheric Christ isn't conventional Christianity as it's
      usually thought of. Somewhere Steiner mentions Anthroposophy is - or may
      be - similar to the early Christians down in their Roman catecombs for
      so very long before being widely enough accepted to see the light of
      day! Regardless, it seems to me that while the Etheric Christ is
      working, perhaps without our recognition, that it is we who lack a
      proper ability to work in a right way with and for Him without a proper
      awareness - we simply must do our best.

      Cheers Indeed!

      Sheila

      soniaeasley2002 wrote:

      > Missy,
      >
      > Thank you so very much for this posting on Swedenborg.  Bless your
      > heart for sharing.  This lecture has made my day.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Sonia
      >
      > --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, LilOleMissy <lilolemissy@s...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Swedenborg's Power of Vision, by Rudolf Steiner, Dornach, 12
      > September
      > > 1915 [From anthroposophic News Sheet, 7th year, No. 14, 2 April,
      > 1939]

      Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

      ommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • LilOleMissy
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 19, 2004
        Dear Sonia,

        How great to read Swedenborg! :) It says a lot about your discrimination
        of thought and contemplation to spot so much in Steiner's words, and it
        seems to me the impulses at work during the 4th Post Atlantean Epoch
        very often come to us during the 5th P.A. Epoch in a very different
        form, an evolving of consciousness, perhaps, so to say. I think it is in
        "From Jesus to Christ" where Steiner compares so minutely the Jesuit
        Path and a differing Path as well as how they effect the individuality
        and mankind et al in general. I wonder if Loyola might be mentioned
        somewhere in that work?! I don't believe I've thought to look for him
        there. It's interesting also how such a strong scientific impulse was at
        work within Swedenborg. The plot thickens - keep us posted? :)

        Cheers!!!!!

        Sheila