[steiner] Hesse, Gurdjieff, Sufis, etc.

  • Joseph Proskauer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2004
      Dear friends,

      I'd appreciate any further information on meetings or other interactions between Steiner and other now-recognized figures of his time -- especially spiritual teachers, especially Gurdjieff, and especially contemporary records such as diary entries.  Various stories circulate concerning Steiner and Gurdjieff;  anyone know of any evidence for or against any of them?

      At the risk of contributing to a preponderance of gossip-over-evidence in such matters, I can offer one story about another teacher's visit to Dornach around 1920.  I found this in an authoritative-seeming book about Sufism in the west (published approx. 15 years ago).  It said that on his travels, a teacher who brought Sufism to the west * visited the (First) Goetheanum, and commented on its form to the following effect:  such a building would not likely be allowed to stand.  I think the passage implied that the reason for this comment was the building's public revealing of sacred forms.  I also think that the implication wasn't that the sanction would necessarily come from earthly sources.  The passage did note that the Goetheanum burned down not long after.

      * I believe the Sufi teacher was Hazrat Inayat Khan, founder of the Sufi Order in the West.  (This 'Order' seems to have spawned two offspring organizations:  the Sufi Order International, headed until recently by one of Hazrat's sons, the late Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan, and now by his grandson,  Pir Zia Inayat Khan;  and the International Sufi movement headed by anther son, composer  Hidayat Inayat Khan.

              Joseph Proskauer
              JP@...