Soul-Calendar Week 31

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2004
           The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra on Easter Sunday.
         These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days.
         Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete 'astrosophical' form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LIBRA from Oct. 13th to Nov. 9th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the SCALES in the original Soul-Calendar, done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.

      *  M A N T R A  # 3 1  *

      Das Licht aus Geistestiefen,
      Nach aussen strebt es sonnenhaft:
      Es wird zur Lebenswillenskraft
      Und leuchtet in der Sinne Dumpfheit,
      Um Kräfte zu entbinden,
      Die Schaffensmächte aus Seelentrieben
      In Menschenwerke reifen lassen.

      The Light out of Spirit-Deeps
      Strives outwards like the Sun:
      It turns into Life-Will-Force
      And shines into the Senses' Dullness,
      The Powers to unbind,
      That Shaping-Might out of Soul-Drives
      In Man's Work will let ripen.

        Interpretation of this week's mantra:
         The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt this growing thinking consciousness directing all our feelings from vagueness to certainty, as our summer soul-experience awakened fully. This week, the verse focuses our attention on the spiritual light of thinking and how it seeks to turn to the outer world, turning into will-forces for living and illuminating the otherwise dull sense-existence, and thus turning the blind urges of the soul into creatively-shaping forces.

                                                  **********************************

      Sunday, November 7th.  Moon Virgo. 1775 Goethe entered into Weimar.

      Monday, November 8th. Moon Libra.  1674 Milton died.

      Tuesday, November 9th. Moon Libra. Day of Remembrance of 40 Martyrs, who because they refused to participate in a Feast to pagan gods, were murdered by the Langobards.

      Wednesday, November 10th. Moon Scorpio. 1483 Luther born. 1759 Schiller born.

      Thursday, November 11th. Moon Scorpio. St. Martin's Day.

      Friday, November 12th. Moon Scorpio. New Moon. 1869 Maler Fr. Overbeck died.

      Saturday, November 13th. Moon Sagittarius.
        Nicholas I ( was in the 9th century as Pope defender of celibacy for priests).

      P. S. The Moon can be seen close to Venus, Mars and Jupiter Sunday through Thursday mornings, one to two hours before sunrise, in the East, amongst the stars of the Virgin. It will be quite close to bright Jupiter Tuesday morning, near brilliant "morning star" Venus Wednesday morning and close to dimmer, reddish Mars Thursday morning. Yellowish Saturn will be high overhead in the South throughout the entire time, beneath and almost lined up with the twin stars Castor and Pollux of Gemini.
      Dr. Starman

      www.DrStarman.net