Fact over Myth

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004
      The reason we're dependent on oil is simple. Without it our entire
      society would be thrown into the Dark Ages. That's an unavoidable
      fact.

      The reason we don't exchange oil for alternative energy sources is
      also simple. No First World nation depends on alternative energy
      for the same reason why most individuals don't use solar energy or
      wind energy as their primary sources of power. Alternative energy
      is wildly expensive and wildly inefficient. That's another
      unavoidable fact.

      California is a model to exemplify what happens when there is
      inadequate energy supplies; besides blackouts, the economic toll can
      be measured in terms of layoffs and lost wages equaling billions of
      dollars. Energy shortages weighed down Californians with Third World
      energy supply problems, this despite California having the country's
      largest alternative energy program. That's another fact.

      Most people don't deny the hazards of traditional energy sources,
      nor the reality of global warming; it's the urgency of the problem
      that's in question, and whether global warming is mostly man-made or
      mostly natural. A recent study in the Telegraph newspaper, "Middle
      Ages Were Warmer than Today," proves the ladder possibility. Follow
      the link if you question this fact.

      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
      xml=/news/2003/04/06/nclim06.xml

      Right now, it's a matter of survival to create an abundant supply of
      affordable energy produced at current levels of CO2 regulations
      (regulations often more stringent and challenging than those found
      in Kyoto nations!); we should raise limitations on CO2 as growth in
      technology invents cleaner energy sources at affordable prices.
      Eventually, we'll meet our environmental goals through an even
      keeled, common sense approach that pushes not overwhelms our energy
      producing sector.

      Already, the coal industry has made impressive strides reducing
      green house gas emissions; and despite the opinion polls, the United
      States has enjoyed incredible declines in air pollution. In the
      1980s, San Bernardino, Californians could expect their air to exceed
      federal health standards on ozone smog on more than 130 days per
      year. Now, it's down 15 to 30 times and falling. Much of the success
      is due to greater automotive engine efficiency --government
      regulations challenged, not overwhelmed, the industry-- but the coal
      industry deserves positive recognition as well. Thanks to $50
      billion invested in new, cutting-edge technologies, coal-plant
      emissions of health related pollutants are down by nearly 31% since
      1970, says the U.S. Department of Energy and Environmental
      Protection Agency. Sulfer dioxide (S02) are down by 21% during the
      same time span, and are at the lowest levels since the 1920s.
      Environmental efficiency has improved by 70%. These successes are
      the result of an industry committed to clean air and improving
      technology to make the air even cleaner.
    • LilOleMissy@SBCglobal.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004

        California is a model to exemplify what happens when there is
        inadequate energy supplies; besides blackouts, the economic toll can
        be measured in terms of layoffs and lost wages equaling billions of
        dollars. Energy shortages weighed down Californians with Third World
        energy supply problems, this despite California having the country's
        largest alternative energy program.  That's another fact.

        Mathew, the situation here in California is complicated by so-called "environmentally safe" state laws such as mandating certain adatives included in all gasoline sold in this state. Not only do these extra substances further pollute our environment [in contradistinction to what the supposed use of them is to circumvent] but the cost of fuel is enormously inflated with the varying grades of gasoline refined especially for use in this state. I use a  diesel vehicle to avoid this, but supposedly the most polluted region in the entire US is the enormous San Joaquin Valley due to prevailing winds blowing to them everything originating in the San Francisco Bay area and in-between as well, not to mention the tons and tons of pesticides, herbacides, etc. to fuel the enormous agricultural industries in the Valley itself. Here on the Monterey Bay Coast we escape this, but there are other problems to rivel pollution, i.e. lack of water with not just one but two enormous desalanation plants on the drawing boards locally due to infighting betwen environmentalists and local needs.
        On top of all this is the huge National Marine Sanctuary which includes the entire Pacific coast from north of San Francisco on south nearly to Santa Barbara, plus the local Monterey Bay Underwater Canyon Sanctuary recently established. At one time individual and some corporate fishing industries rimmed our entire coastline, but fishing as a private enterprise is rapidly disappearing due to strict laws mandating otter, sealion, seal, prehistoric condor and other birdlife plus native plant protections as prime inhabitants of the Pacific Ocean and Coastal areas in opposition to other uses.

        There is far more which applies here, but this is off topic from Steiner, more or less, although perhaps one might hazard we have hopefully learned a proper degree of wisdom, neither extreme nor underrated, to be wise stewards of the earth entrusted to us.

        Cheers!

        Sheila

      • leslie russell
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004
          Ummmm........what would you do without your precious gas? I am but a lurker and although I agree we are off topic per se, I still feel the need to put my two cents in.Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.Gas included!

          Warmly,
          Leslie

          "LilOleMissy@..." <lilolemissy@...> wrote:

[...]

          Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at: