Re: [steiner] Manson Family Values

  • LilOleMissy@SBCglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2004
      Mathew, thank you for sharing your astute analysis of the individuals cited, and I want to congratulate you for writing so splendidly and concisely as well as with such clarity. It's interesting to me, as a resident of California, to note the prevalence of these types of behaviors seemingly popping up so very suddenly during the 1960's not only in this state, but connected in some way or other with Monterey County.  In preparation for a medical career, Maslow's "basic needs" as well as other psychologists'/thinkers' works were crammed down my throat, but post-Steiner I began to ponder far more deeply on other possible underlying forces and/or influences. In short, the insight Steiner opened up, in so far as I was/am able to comprehend and apply, opened up far different aspects regarding the "cult personality" which I had to take very seriously, not only in my work, but just from common sense and what insight I might be able to absorb - Steiner simply speaks truth regarding human behavior; he stands solidly, so to say, and so obviously correct in opening up pathways into human behavior I had never encountered before, and yet they all rang true. Someone asked me once if I had ever encountered any type of demonic possession, and it seemed to me at the time that that expression, demonic possession, can very often be the impulse or force behind such behaviors as cult personalities - perhaps not necessarily to begin with, but possibly later in life as self-control and humanity seem to depart, or perhaps better stated, "when the stage was set". Looking into history for a moment, it seems a Hitler may have begun as an intact personality which only later, as deterioration became ever more pronounced, was overtaken or led by another Being. I offer these few thoughts not as a refutation of your excellent presentation, but as an alternative to at times perhaps seriously consider.

      Blessings,

      Sheila

      Mathew Morrell wrote:

      I posted an article at the Kansas City Post.  The article centers on
      the subject of cult psychology, but also includes some of my ideas
      on Maslow's theory of self-actualization. It's a good article for
      those interested in cults and criminology and how the creative
      impulse, when repressed, becomes an impulse for destruction. The URL
      is:

        http://www.kcpost.net/MM_MansonFamily.htm