    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2004

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra on Easter Sunday.
         These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events on specific days.
         Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to its complete 'astrosophical' form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation VIRGO from Sept. 8th to Oct. 12th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the VIRGIN in the original Soul-Calendar, done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.

      *  M A N T R A  # 2 7  *

      In meines Wesens Tiefen dringen:
      Erregt ein ahnungsvolles Sehnen,
      Dass ich mich selbstbetrachtend finde,
      Als Sommersonnengabe, die als Keim
      In Herbstesstimmung wärmend lebt
      Als meiner Seele Kräftetriebe.

      In my essence's depths is a force:
      It excites a premonition-filled yearning
      That I, in my self-contemplation, find
      As Summer-Sun's gift, which as a seed
      In Autumn's approach warming lives
      As my Soul's Power-Drive.

      Interpretation of this week's mantra:
         The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we have in Summer.
          Last week this developing ego-consciousness, the gift of the soul's experience in Summer, we carried into our own wills, and this gave backbone to the drives of our human spirits so that they had a stamp of Self-feeling. This is the "solar" essence we carry within us into the 'night-time' of the year.
          This week's verse describes a feeling of simply finding a driving force present in our soul depths as a result of this ongoing process. When I look within, I find a strong yearning for what I sense must now begin to happen in the future; a powerful force lives in the soul's drives, which we must sense as a seed of future development as we press on into the Autumn.

                                          **********************************

      Sunday, October  10th.  Moon Virgo.  Gideon.

      Monday, October 11th. Moon Virgo. 1531 Zwingli died.

      Tuesday, October 12th. Moon Libra.  Wilfred (acted for the spreading of Christianity in Sweden in the 11th century).

      Wednesday, October 13th. Moon Libra. New Moon.  Angelus.

      Thursday, October 14th. Moon Scorpio.  Callistus.

      Friday, October 15th. Moon Scorpio. 1844 Friedrich Nietzche born.

      Saturday, October 16th. Moon Sagittarius.
      Gallus (the appointer of the cloisters of St. Gallen).

      Dr. Starman

      There will be an eclipse of the sun on Wednesday Oct. 13th.

      www.DrStarman.net