Calendar of the Soul, Week 26 after Easter (Michaelmas)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2004
                 The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra on Easter Sunday.
         These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events on specific days.
         Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to its complete 'astrosophical' form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation VIRGO from Sept. 8th to Oct. 12th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the VIRGIN in the original Soul-Calendar, done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.

      *  M A N T R A  # 2 6  * (Michaelmas)

      Natur, deine mütterliches Sein,
      Ich trage es in meinem Willenswesen;
      Und meines Willens Feuermacht,
      Sie stählet meines Geistes Triebe,
      Dass sie gebären Selbstgefühl,
      Zu tragen mich in mir.

      Nature, your mother-like Being,
      I carry you in my Will-Essence;
      And my Will's Fiery Might,
      It steels my Spirit-Drive,
      That this bears Self-Feeling,
      To carry myself in me.

      Interpretation of this week's mantra:
         The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we have in summer.
         Last week this developing self-consciousness placed us in a state of being completely alone, so that the Light which within could be shed on the otherwise dark outer world.
         This week is the mood of Michaelmas verse itself: the developing ego-consciousness we have at this season, we can feel is the Being of Nature itself. We now carry this into our own Wills; then, this will can give 'steel' or backbone to the drives of our conscious human spirits, so that they have a stamp of Self-feeling. And then, if we flow with this, we have the experience of a second Self we carry within our ordinary selves.

                                          **********************************

      Sunday, October  3rd.  Moon Gemini.  Dionysius the Aeropagite, comrade of Paul. Jairus (in Matthew's Gospel). Simplicius.

      Monday, October 4th. Moon Gemini. Marcianus (spreader of Christianity in Egypt in the 4th Century).1226 Francis of Assizi died.

      Tuesday, October 5th. Moon Cancer.  Placidus (bringer of Christianity to Sicily in the 6th Century). 1582 The Gregorian Calendar became established.

      Wednesday, October 6th. Moon Cancer. Last Quarter.  Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Angela (who converted Francis of Assizi to Christianity).

      Thursday, October 7th. Moon Leo.  Serapius.

      Friday, October 8th. Moon Leo. Ephraim (Joseph's Son). 1502 Founding of the University of Wittenberg.

      Saturday, October 9th. Moon Leo.
      Dionysius (he who conducted the counting of the years since the Birth of Christ and decided the the method for fixing the celebration of the Easter festival).

      Dr. Starman

      www.DrStarman.net