opinions

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 24, 2004
      When we were children we always heard, around the Thanksgiving table
      or on Sunday after church, the adults vehemently express their ideas
      and opinions about the world, but we never really became upset by
      these opinions no matter how strange, alien or discomforting they
      seemed to be at the time; we were never offended even if these ideas
      were contrary to what our parents believed. We simple listened with
      charmed amusement as the "grown ups" argued back and forth, swatting
      mental forms around the table like harmless Ping Pong balls.
      Occasionally the Ping Pong Balls became canon balls, and feeling were
      hurt. My grandfather held views that different from my own view--we
      used to spar with each over politics--but I never took these sparring
      matches personally.

      I think, maybe, children have a more profound insight into the nature
      of ideas and opinions than adults. A child knows that our opinions
      are meaningless compared to who we are as individuals. After all you
      can talk all you want about opinions or what you believe but it's
      what's inside that counts to a child. For example, you can tell the
      whole world how much you love America but be unwilling to break a
      fingernail to protect your country from an outside invader. Or,
      conversely, you can talk all you want about women's rights and yet
      secretly cheat on your wife. You can preach the environmental rape
      of the planet Earth and yet never even attempt to use public
      transportation, walk or ride a bike to work. High "flutin" opinions
      are BS to a child. They can see through the crap.

      No body's opinion is worth losing a friendship over. Remember that.
      An opinion is simply that, an opinion.
    • LilOleMissy@SBCglobal.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 25, 2004
        Mathew, I find this interesting and I think you're on to something very profound here. Like you, I remember hearing "the old folks" talking about varying matters but before reaching an age of semi-comprehension in an intellectual way, I distinctly remember as a small child of I-don't-remember-what-age, silently observing various individuals. It seemed to me I didn't so much "hear" spoken thoughts upon which to base my opinions of others, but I assessed their "goodness" by a "sense" of some sort coming from this or that adult, seemingly alerting me to how "safe" that individual was. mm - this is difficult to verbalize and perhaps makes no sense to others. I suppose I'm trying to say I judged adults by a silent observation or sensing silently in some way, ignoring their visible actions and spoken words. My poor mother was often embarrassed by my "rude staring" and lack of verbal response, but while this lasted I seemed to never have misjudged anyone. Could it be that small children have a type of primordial instinct until they reach an older age when their intellect comes into play? I haven't come across anything by Steiner regarding this unless I overlooked it. Interesting.

        Sheila

      • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 26, 2004
          Here is one sentence by Steiner:  "Our powers of perception and feeling are in accord with our earlier incarnations."

          "We live through many embodiments, from incarnation to incarnation.  In each, we learn many things, each full of opportunities for gathering new experiences.  We cannot carry everything over in every detail from incarnation to incarnation.  When we are born again it is not necessary for everything we have learned to come to life in every detail.  But if we have learned a great deal in one incarnation, and then die an are born again, although there isno need for all our ideas to live again, we come to life withthe fruits of our former life, the fruits of what we have learned.  Our powers of perception and feeling are in accord with our earlier incarnations."

          "Steiner goes on to describe how Goethe in his poem shows us "The highest wisdom, which is a fruit of former knowledge."  He says that Brother Mark, the new leader of the twelve, "has transformed this knowledge into feeling and experience and is therefore qualified to lead others who have perhaps learned more in the form of concepts.""
        • LilOleMissy@SBCglobal.net

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
              Sheila, you know, I am not sure what lecture.  A good guess would be the karma and reincarnation.  I got this out of "Start Now" a book of soul and spiritual exercises by R.S. edited and introduced by Christopher Bamford.  It is the BEST book by the way in case you don't have it.  I just started it and can't put it down.  Much luck on your endeavors, Chantel
            • LilOleMissy@SBCglobal.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
                Thanks, Chantel - that should do it, and I really appreciate your kind reply. It's great to know such a collection is available "all in one", rather than these cluttered notes with jotted down reminders to myself! :)

                Sheila