TALKING POINTS ON CERTAINTY

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      ** Mr. Reardon (my philosophy of religion teacher) definition of
      certainty: a firm assent to a proposition because of a motive.

      ** Another way to say it is: You are certain because you have reason
      to believe your certainty is reasonable and justified.

      ** Certainty without motive is faith. A person who has faith is
      faithful, not because he can substantiate his faith through personal
      experience or through overwhelming proofs, but through irrational,
      subject reasons (i.e. because he wants and needs to believe).

      ** If we tried to relate the concept of certainty with religion, a
      direct experience of God would be "overwhelming proof" of the
      presence of God that would make simple faith un-necessary. The
      mystic's direct experience elevates him above faith by providing him
      with the motive or the reason to have certainty in God. However,
      achieving a mystical sense of certainty and sustaining it on a
      permanent level is impossible for most people. In reality, moments
      of pure affirmation generally occur in brief flashes and momentary
      glimpses. The remainder of the time we rely on faith.

      ** Therefore faith is a necessary and natural element in life.
      Through faith we establish a state of trust in our moments of
      certainty.
    • s
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2004

        > ** Therefore faith is a necessary and natural element in life.
        > Through faith we establish a state of trust in our moments of
        > certainty.

        "...Hope is the sister of Faith. Shed thy passions and thy errors in
        order to study the mysteries of true science and the key will be given
        thee; then a ray of divine light will break from the occult sanctuary
        in order to dissipate the shadows of thy future and show thee the way
        to hapiness...

        whatever may happen in life, never injure the flower of hope and thou
        wilt gather the fruits of faith."