    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2004

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra on Easter Sunday.
         These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events on specific days.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LEO from August 4th to Sept. 7th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the LION in the original Soul-Calendar, done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.
          For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      *  M A N T R A  # 2 1  *
      Ich fühle fruchtend fremde Macht
      Sich stärkend mir mich selbst verleihn,
      Den Keim empfind ich reifend
      Und Ahnung lichtvoll weben
      Im Innern an der Selbstheit Macht.

      I feel bearing fruit a foreign Power
      Which strengthens me, my self to bestow,
      The Seed I sense  ripening
      And a premonition of light-filled weaving together
      My inner being with the Selfhood's Might.

      This week's mantram:
          Last week one felt one's self for the first time since 'losing' it (in the Summer light & warmth); but along with this was an acute sense that one would perish along with all one's creations if built from that self alone. This week, the spiritual 'seed' that was planted in the summer 'waking dream-state' reaches a stage of ripening where it may begin to 'lend' to us a 'spiritual Self' instead; and we have a strong fore-sensing this will be able to join with the deepest inner forces which the ordinary self would not be able to tap into.

      Sunday, August 29th.  Moon Pisces. Full Moon.  Beheading of John the Baptist.

      Monday, August 30th. Moon Pisces. 1856 John Ross, the discoverer of the magnetic North Pole died.

      Tuesday, August 31st. Moon Aries. Joshua, the successor to Moses.
                                      1821 the Natural Scientist Helmholtz born.

      Wednesday, September 1st. Moon Aries.  Firminus.

      Thursday, September 2nd. Moon Taurus. Absalom.

      Friday, September 3rd. Moon Taurus.  Eusebius.

      Saturday, September4th. Moon Taurus.
      . Marcellus, School of Peter. Moses.