Re: [steiner] The da Vinci Code

  • Pierre Gringoire
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2004
      Putting the question of the Priory of Sion aside for a moment, I think Chantel was right when she wrote that 'The da Vinci Code' "gives a lot of insight into the public consciousness".

      Although I cannot speak for other countries, here in the UK we have an almost 'wisdom free' culture.  The media is obsessed by trivia, celebrity, gossip, accusation and blame, petty point-scoring and so on.  It never stops.  Wisdom never gets a look in.  (As Dr Steiner once put it, it is simply "not on the agenda").  The interesting thing about 'The da Vinci Code' is that it has become something of a 'phenomenon'.  Interest in the book owes more to the fact that, for most people, the content is new, and the subject matter intriguing.

      When a society is devoid of almost all influence of spiritual wisdom, it is hardly surprising that when it emerges, it does so in a confused and distorted manner.  So there is a dilemma.  When confronted by a confused and quite possibly corrupt 'wisdom', is it best to condemn it or to encourage those who have taken up an interest through it to seek further?

      PS. After re-reading my original post, I spotted an unhealthy world-weariness in my attitude.  So I bought the book and am currently reading it.  Like Chantel I will wait to post further comments on it till I have done so.