Calendar of the Soul, Week 14 after Easter - SUMMER

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2004

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra on Easter Sunday.
         These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night, for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to its complete form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation GEMINI from June 16th to July 20th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the TWINS done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.
          For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 4 (Summer) *
      An Sinnesoffenbarung hingegeben,
      Verlor ich mein Eigenwesens Trieb,
      Gedankentraum, er schien
      Betäubend mir das Selbst zu rauben,
      Doch weckend nahet schon
      In Sinnenschein mir Weltendanken.

      To Senses' offerings given over
      I lose Self-Essence's Drive;
      Dreaminess of Thinking, it seems
      To stupefy me, the Self to rob,
      But a waking now approaches
      From Senses' Shining in me of World-Thinking.

         The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the play of light and warmth, so strong that it dims down the Ego's thinking; then, from out of the Spirit revealed in the outer world, we are to find our "selves" again in the World-Self. This is the St. John's experience of "I must decrease that He may increase."
         This week that World-Thinking, the Ideas the Spirit uses to build Nature, now begins to approach us in our summer waking-dream state, where we are immersed in the senses' beauty.

      Sunday, July 11th.  Moon Taurus.  Pius I.

      Monday, July 12th. Moon Gemini.  1536 Erasmus of Rotterdam died.

      Tuesday, July 13th. Moon Gemini. 1889 Robert Hamerling died.

      Wednesday, July 14th. Moon Gemini.  1801 Johannes Müller (the Natural Scientist) born.

      Thursday, July 15th. Moon Cancer.  The Day that, according to legend, the Apostles set out on their missions and each chose a different region to go to.
      1099 The Crusaders stormed Jerusalem.

      Friday, July 16th. Moon Cancer.  The Flight of Muhammed 622 A.D. (Hegira).

      Saturday, July 17th. Moon Leo, New Moon.
        Leo IV.

        Planets :  Jupiter is the brilliant white "star" that can be seen high in the South at sunset and for a few hours afterwards in the Southwest, amongst the stars of the Lion.  The other planets are only visible in the morning before sunrise.