Re: [steiner] The da Vinci Code/Holy Blood, Holy Grail

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2004
      gringoire@... writes:

      Has anyone on this list read "The Da Vinci Code"?  The book is a work of fiction which makes use of the question of the Merovingian bloodline and the hidden history of Knights Templar (after their treatment by Philip IV).  I have not read the book.  If I understand it rightly, Dan Brown (the Author) is not overly serious about the subject matter -- he just happened to touch on something most people hadn't previously heard of.  If anyone has read the book and would like to post a review here, I might be willing to reconsider.

      ******* Brown's fictional work is all based on the allegedly non-fiction 1980s book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" where 3 researchers named Baigent, Leigh, and Lincoln were led on a merry chase by an anonymous person planting documents in the Paris library, claiming to be an inside member of this secret society revealing the truth about it. They believed everything they were told, and wrote that they had discovered a secret society called the Priory of Zion that went back centuries; then went off into wild speculation that the society existed to return a Merovingian king to the throne of France---- and then further speculated that this bloodline was special because Jesus had actually survived his crucifixion and ran off with Mary Magdalene to France, and the Merovingians were his descendants! (Sounds ptretty silly now, but apparently French politics at the time encouraged such far-out conspiritorial ideas.)

         Brown begins the book:
         "FACT:
         The Priory of Sion--a European secret society founded in 1099--is a
         real organization.  In 1975, Paris's Bibliotheque Nationale discovered
         parchments known as Les Dossiers Secrets, identifying numerous
         members of the Priory of Sion, including Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli,
         Victor Hugo, and Leonardo da Vinci..."

          But the Priory of Sion was NOT founded in 1099. In fact, it's a fiction: it's since been revealed to have all been a hoax by a man named Pierre Plantard, who planted the documents in the Bibliotheque Nationale in 1975 for them to find.  Brown based his whole book The Da Vinci Code on "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", and apparently still has not discovered that book's authors were the victim of a mere hoax by Plantard.

         Of course, Rudolf Steiner, who could read the akashic records, described Jesus' death on the cross (even giving the date, April 3rd, 33 A.D.), explained how it would have been impossible for the Christ to have continued to live beyond the three years in Jesus' body, and went into great detail about many things from Biblical records without once saying anything remotely like the Holy Blood, Holy Grail theories.

         The appeal of these things, I think, is to try to "humanize" Jesus and to make the point that a man can be holy even while being married. That's fine----the Protestant Reformation was all about the same thing, negating "the Romish error" of demanding celibacy for priests---- but there's no need to distort history to feel better about being a sexual being. Jesus was an evolved man who set aside sexuality for a higher purpose. Not all are called to walk that path (not all would even necessarily benefit from it!), but there's no need to deny it's a path higher men walk, and drag Jesus down to a lower level by implying sexual stuff going on with Him and the prostitute he redeemed. That only shows people don't know any love can be beyond the physical, as her love for Him was; and that they can only think of Jesus as a physical man with physical descendents.

      Starman
      www.DrStarman.net
    • Pierre Gringoire
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2004
        Dr. Starman wrote:

        ...the Priory of Sion was NOT founded in 1099. In fact, it's a fiction: it's since been revealed to have all been a hoax by a man named Pierre Plantard, who planted the documents in the Bibliotheque Nationale in 1975 for them to find.  Brown based his whole book The Da Vinci Code on "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", and apparently still has not discovered that book's authors were the victim of a mere hoax by Plantard.

        *****

        I think he is right on this.  I first came across the Priory of Sion/Rennes-le-Chatteau 'mystery' in a Colin Wilson book a few years ago.  The information contained in the book seemed confusing then, and still does now.  When I first read about it, my impression was that I was reading two or perhaps three different stories scrambled up together.  The Priory of Sion draws on the mystery of what became of the Knights Templar after their treatment by Phillip IV, adds the symbolic imagery of the grail, and wraps this around a 'secret brotherhood' who possess a great secret.  All of these things have an element of truth to them.. This is a good illustration of how, for an untruth to be convincing, it is not necessary for it to be a complete lie.  There is probably nothing more damaging than truth mixed with untruth.

        For those who are interested, the following website provides supporting information regarding the Priory of Sion hoax.  I found it well written and informative.