Re: [steiner] The da Vinci Code

  • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2004
      Reconsider what?  Reading it?  It is definately worth reading.  Brown was serious enough about writing the book so that indicates to me he is definately serious about the subject matter.  My opinion is he put the book in novel form to further mystify the mystifying.  I am just reading it right now two chapters into it. So  I can't give you a complete over view opinion.  It gives alot of insight into the public consciousness.  I appreciate it for that reason alone.
    • Pierre Gringoire
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2004
        Putting the question of the Priory of Sion aside for a moment, I think Chantel was right when she wrote that 'The da Vinci Code' "gives a lot of insight into the public consciousness".

        Although I cannot speak for other countries, here in the UK we have an almost 'wisdom free' culture.  The media is obsessed by trivia, celebrity, gossip, accusation and blame, petty point-scoring and so on.  It never stops.  Wisdom never gets a look in.  (As Dr Steiner once put it, it is simply "not on the agenda").  The interesting thing about 'The da Vinci Code' is that it has become something of a 'phenomenon'.  Interest in the book owes more to the fact that, for most people, the content is new, and the subject matter intriguing.

        When a society is devoid of almost all influence of spiritual wisdom, it is hardly surprising that when it emerges, it does so in a confused and distorted manner.  So there is a dilemma.  When confronted by a confused and quite possibly corrupt 'wisdom', is it best to condemn it or to encourage those who have taken up an interest through it to seek further?

        PS. After re-reading my original post, I spotted an unhealthy world-weariness in my attitude.  So I bought the book and am currently reading it.  Like Chantel I will wait to post further comments on it till I have done so.