WASPs

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2004
      Lately I've been spending a lot of time outside on my new patio,
      which I built. After a rain storm the local wasps visit in somewhat
      prodigious numbers in order to collect the mud from the raised beds
      that I built for my rose bushes. The mud is excellent for building
      nests, due to the high clay content, and word seems to have spread
      among the local wasp community. You can almost pet these wasps, so
      tame are they when they're away from home collecting mud and
      foraging for insects. Yet threaten their homes, their hives, and
      its a complete reversal; they're merciless. They'll attack with
      singular purpose, to anhilate the threat: risking even their own
      lives. Therefore they live in peace most of the time. This
      personality of their's is admirable, and I've stopped spraying them.

      Have a good summer,

      Mathew Morrell
      www.kcpost.net
    • LilOleMissy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2004
        On Jun 28, 2004, at 7:10 PM, Mathew Morrell wrote:

[...]

        Mathew, thank you for this - would you happen to remember where it is I
        might again find Steiner's words about wasps? He speaks more about
        bees, but somewhere there's at least a mention of wasps. I wonder if
        wasps, like bees, form a "whole", so to speak? What lessons and
        treasures we can learn from so-called "lower life forms" if we only
        would!

        Blessings,

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 28, 2004
          In a message dated 6/28/2004 11:20:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lilolemissy@... writes:

[...]

          Sheila

          *******For instance, the "St. John's bugs" or fireflies, the "lightning bugs" that Steiner described as an embodiment of the Sulfur principle of the old alchemists, which becomes active in the summer. They come out the same time as the summer heat-lightning, the "cosmic light and warmth" described in the weekly calendar of the Soul verses.
             There was an English translation of one of Goethe's couplets I read in Steiner's philosophical works years ago----

          Two philosophers crossed my way;
          "Nature!" "Nature!", 'twas all I heard them say.

          Starman
          www.DrStarman.net