Re: [steiner] TIME

  • LilOleMissy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
      Mathew, this really brings a lot truth to me - things I hadn't realized
      before are in your words. Steiner placed great importance on math and
      numbers, and it seems to me I understand in some way that everything is
      founded/based upon numbers. More than once I've come across his saying
      this, but I don't know where. Pythagoras of Samos was an Initiate who
      understood numbers in a particular way - I think perhaps around 600
      B.C.? I want to thank you for your thoughts and let you know you've
      summed up very much to bring me some understanding of how important
      math is.

      Sincerely,

      Sheila

      On Jun 1, 2004, at 9:23 PM, Mathew Morrell wrote:

      Just as art and music express the personality of culture, so to does
      its mathmatics. Both expression-forms--art and math--provide the
      historian with a view of the soul-spiritual qualities animating a
      culture from within.  Afterall what is more essential to Greek
      culture c. 500 BC, than Euclid's mental breakthrough, geometry, and
      its emphasis on ideal forms.  Ancient Greek statuary emphasised all
      that is "ideal" in the subject so that statuary from this time
      period seems crystallized in an omnipresent now, without future or
      past; both Greek statuary and geometry are based spiritually on
      ideal, mental objects occupying rational pure space, and exist
      utterly without the time element. In fact, time itself was alien in
      Greek life.  It wasn't that it didn't exist so much as ignored as an
      intrinsic element in the World-Picture; their souls rejected it, and
      that is why the idea of history was so remote to the Greeks, as it
      is in their art and in their math.  The Greek artist strove for
      magnitudes, for things "as they are,"  in each chisell stroke,
      seeking that single, omnipresent, pose, gesture, stance, that
      solidifies the Ideal in physical mass.  There is no sweep of motion
      in any of the works of the Classical Greek masters--Praxiteles,
      Lysippos,  Skopas--that can compare to the "thousand vibrations"
      that seem to animate the Statue of David with life and motion.
      Instead the ancient Greek soul lived in an omnipresent Now that
      would overwhelm the modern soul with its overflowing intensity and
      nearness to divine sources.  The Greek mathmatician strove after
      what already was, in their opinon, perfect:  the True Form, the
      geometry of spatial perfection.  Although Pythagorean geometry is
      immensely practical in many respect, it is utterly lost and
      ineffectual in the realm of Faustian mathmatics where both
      the "becoming" and "become" play a central role.  The algabraic
      function, Differential Calculus, analytic geometry, are expression
      forms discovered by the Faustian Soul to express our new born
      awareness of time.  For the Faustian soul, time is a dynamic, a
      world-feeling that encompasses the element of possibilities,
      operations, curves, occuring within the field of time.  Faustian
      Mathmatics is a fullfillment of time.

      Mathew Morrell
      www.kcpost.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2006
        Look at all the ways men abuse Time---as if she were an object. They
        cloth her in the filthy rags of Relativism. Or they beat her with
        Newtonian whips. If only they knew she is a living essence of
        fantastic beauty.

        Classical physicists confine her to a geometrical cell consisting in
        three dimensions, from which, they think, she is unable to break
        free. What fools!

        Her body is infinity and her dance is the existence of the universe.
        Tall, long-legged and limber, her light willowy body dashes and
        spins, jumps and hovers, so that no eye can predict the outcome of
        her quick spiraling trajectory.

        The relativist simply added another dimension to her jail cell, the
        fourth dimension. With this increased freedom, they force her into
        the most appalling positions. She is twisted and bent according to
        the curvature of space, as if she were a whore.

        Little does the relativist know that Time exists in her own right.
        She, too, has a soul like Space---and that it is love that draws them
        together. Her dance with Space unfolds very slowly at first;
        elegantly and always in unison, their arms now rise and now lower,
        their feet now pointing, their bodies now spiraling in wispy,
        immutable revolutions of exotic nature spirits bathing in clear
        waters.

        And now the age of the quantum physicist has arrived, and their
        perverse yearning to cleave Time into two, saying her "Now" is an
        illusion without Soul; that, instead of representing reality, her
        Now, her womb, is merely an extension of the past; and that by
        changing the past you change the future. This is how deeply their
        hatred sinks, that even the sweetness of her womb---the Now---is
        forsaken.

        Yet each Now she conceives, however small, expresses a complete
        reality. In the Now she is eternally creating; now lifting her foot,
        and now lowering her foot and now elevating her arms and now
        spinning. . . . in one continuous flow of movement. . . . each step
        connected as if by a golden thread, yet each moment an expression of
        God's eternal nature. She is One in the Many.

        Mathew Morrell
        www.kcpost.net