Re: [steiner] Re: Philosophy anyone?

  • LilOleMissy
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 15, 2004
      Dr. Starman, you have as much information as I have, which isn't to say
      much. The translation in the link appearing below is my first sight of
      it - the words attributed to Steiner certainly do not "ring" with a
      Steinerish tone to me, but then I must admit I'm a long time admirer of
      the older translations.

      Sheila

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 15, 2004
        info@... writes:
        Here is a brief report on the title match in moral
        principles... in english:

        http://www.menschengeist.de/pdf_mappe/Titlematch_Philosfont.pdf

        ******* I'd say your opinion rests on an error in understanding Steiner's ethical individualism. Steiner did not enunciate something which is true for all, except in a way so abstract as to be absurd. He says that we must draw by moral intuition what we see or know as the right thing to do in each given situation. Now, human beings vary widely in their ability to have moral intuitions. I know some who seem to have virtually zero. You can take the spectrum from a serial killer to Albert Schweitzer and abstractly say 'all of them use whatever moral intuitions they have to decide what to do in each situation of life' and so they're all the same, but this is like saying that since we all use our muscles we are all athletes. Some TRAIN their moral intuitive abilities, some let them wither, some are deliberately perverting themselves and refusing to listen to what that faculty says. But to argue that this means that everyone is following the same moral standard, like the fixed moral codes Kant liked, is like saying because everyone decides the right thing to do individually, the statement "Everyone decides what to do in each individual case" makes everyone equal, enunciates some standard which is good for everyone. It does, but only in a hopelessly abstract way that leaves out the essence of what free individuals specifically do. It's like saying since we all have an ego we are all the exact same people.
            But this is for people who wish to argue philosophy. I don't find that arguing it accomplishes anything, only studying it, like Steiner's works for instance. Kant was important to study 120 years ago but I don't see much relevance now, or rather he no longer frames the terms of the philosophical debate. And I certainly don't agree Steiner was saying the same thing as Kant and never realized it over a half-century of studying Kant. He was defintely not saying the same thing, which is why he became so much more than just a philosopher.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 15, 2004
          In a message dated 3/15/2004 10:07:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, lilolemissy@... writes:

          Dr. Starman, you have as much information as I have, which isn't to say
          much. The translation in the link appearing below is my first sight of
          it - the words attributed to Steiner certainly do not "ring" with a
          Steinerish tone to me, but then I must admit I'm a long time admirer of
          the older translations.

          Sheila

          ******* The quotes are snippets from the Philosophy of Spiritual Activity. It looks like Michael Wilson's translations from the 1964 edition.
          -Starman