    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22 9:48 PM

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the lunar forces), and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to its complete form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation AQUARIUS from Feb. 9th to March 8th in our era. A version of the symbolic image of the WATER-MAN done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.
           For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 5  *
      Es festigt sich Gedankenmacht
      Im Bunde mit der Geistgeburt,
      Sie hellt der Sinne dumpfe Reize
      Zur vollen Klarheit auf.
      Wenn Seelenfülle
      Sich mit dem Weltenwerden einen will,
      Muss Sinnesoffenbarung
      Des Denkens Licht empfangen.

      Fast is Thinking's Might
      In Union with the Spirit-Birth,
      It brightens the senses' dim risings
      Into full Clarity.
      When Soul-fulfillment
      With World-Becoming would become one,
      Must Senses' revelation
      Thinking's Light receive.

      This week's mantram:
          Last week, as we head towards spring when our inner selves once more go to sleep while the Earth awakens, stirrings of life in the wakening outer world combined with our wills as we continued to unfold the 'spirit-birth' achieved at Christmas. This week, the power of thinking unites with what was born in us at Christmas to make clear to us all of the early spring stirrings of new life in the external world. In order for the Soul's fullness of experience to unite with this "becoming" of Nature, we must unite our thinking to our perceptions.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

      *  M A N T R A  # 2 0  *
      So fühl ich erst mein Sein,
      Das fern vom Welten-Dasein
      In sich, sich selbst erlöschen
      Und bauend nur auf eignem Grunde
      In sich, sich selbst ertöten müsste.

      So feel I first my Being
      That far from World-Existence
      In itself, itself loses
      And building only out of its own Ground
      In itself, itself must die.

      This week's mantram:
          This week one begins to feel one's self for the first time since 'losing' it in the light & warmth of the summer; but along with this is the feeling that oneself, isolated from the world, will perish along with all that one attempts to build from self, if that is the sole basis of one's creations.

                                             **********************************

      Sunday,  February 22nd. Moon Aries.
      Papias (Disciple of the Apostles, died as a martyr 116 A.D.) Schopenhauer born 1788.

      Monday,   February 23rd. Moon Aries.

      Lazarus (the poor man in the Gospel).
      Lazarus (who as described in John's Gospel by Christ was awakened).
      Mathematician Gauss died 1855.
      Eduard von Hartmann born 1842.

      Tuesday,   February 24th. Moon Taurus.
      Matthias the Apostle, chosen in Judas' place.
      Gutenberg died 1468.

      Wednesday,  February 25th. Moon Taurus.
      Cellini died 1571.

      Thursday,  February 26th. Moon Taurus.
      Jonas (the Prophet).

      Friday,  February 27th. Moon Gemini. First Quarter.
      Ernst Renan born 1823.
      Martialis (acted for the spreading of Christendom in Gallien in the 3rd century).

      Saturday,  February 28th. Moon Gemini.

      Montaigne (the Skeptic) born 1533.
      Leander (Christian author).

         [ Feb. 27th, 1861, was also Dr. Steiner's day of birth.]

        The Planets :  Brilliant Venus is visible in the West each night above the setting sun. It's an "evening star", along with reddish Mars above and to the left of it, both near the stars of Aries. Also an evening star is yellowish Saturn, which can be seen high in the south from sunset on, to the right of the two stars Castor and Pollux of the constellation Gemini, then moving Westward to set with them shortly after midnight. Jupiter rises shortly after sunset, the bright "star" in the East beneath the stars of the Lion. All these planets will be visible in the evening sky throughout the spring.