Casting a Horoscope: The Fixed Stars Pt. 2

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2004

          The Fixed Stars-2
          ******* So now you all should be following this enough to have the picture of an apparent rotating sphere of the starry sky above us, turning one full turn each day/night. During the night Taurus, which you should easily have been able to find in the night sky, will move from 12 o'clock position at sunset to 1:00 2 hours later, as you hopefully have seen for yourselves; then 2 more hours on, it will appear at the 2:00 position, and then 2 more hours further, at the 3:00 position. Then it will set and go below our feet, down into the invisible half of the circle, blocked by the earth beneath us.

         As it moves clockwise, the stars we call Gemini will always follow one "hour" behind it, while the stars we call Leo will always be three "hours" behind it, and so on with all the stars each night. Leo will be seen at the 10 o'clock position in the east 2 hours after sunset in the Northern Hemisphere, looking south (----and, incidentally, this is true not only in February 2004 but EVERY February). Two hours later it will rise to the 11 o'clock position; two more hours and it will be highest overhead, at the 12 o'clock position. It will be at the top of the circle as Taurus sets on your right.

          Now, just as Leo will always be 90 degrees west (or counterclockwise) from Taurus, there's another group of stars which we call Aquarius, which is always 180 degrees away from Leo; as Leo sets in the west, that group of stars will be seen to rise in the east. It's very easy to determine by observing that it's always opposite Leo, just as Taurus is always 90 degrees from it. So, like an immense clock, we know that as Leo is rising up in the east, the stars of Aquarius are setting in the West; and when Leo is at the 10 o'clock position, 2 hours after sunset in February, we know the stars of Aquarius are at the 4 o'clock position, even though that's invisible beneath our feet.

         If you are just reading these posts and not doing the actual observations you'll probably be starting to lose this by now. I strongly encourage you to do the observing and thinking required to see all this for yourselves.

         Since we can observe that the various groups of stars are always the same distances from each other in this eternally-rotating sphere of the heavens, we know that, as Gemini, for instance, is at the 11:00 position above us, the opposite group of stars 180 degrees away, which we have named Sagittarius, is at the 5 o'clock position below us, even though we can't see it. As Taurus is at 1:00, Scorpio (opposite) is at the seven o'clock position below.

         The positions of the stars have been recorded for centuries, and are used, for instance, for navigation. So knowing where one or another star or group of stars is at any time is a matter of pure mathematics and astronomy. The "fixed" stars that don't move relative to each other move like clockwork, as if (the ancients said) they were "fixed" to a rotating crystalline sphere. Every two hours one of the 12 groups of stars is at one clock-position, then the next---- eternally.

         If that was all that was involved, there would be no debate about casting a horoscope----when Taurus is highest overhead, at 12 o'clock high, Leo is rising in the east, Aquarius setting in the west, and Scorpio is directly beneath your feet (those, incidentally, are called the 4 "Fixed signs" of the zodiac, and are what is symbolized by the Bull, Lion, Eagle and Man of Ezekiel's vision and the Revelation). But things get a little more complicated when we take into account the MOVING "stars"---- the Sun, Moon and planets. I'll take that up when I'm sure people are following the stary so far.

    • s
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2004
        On Feb 20, 2004, at 8:13 AM, DRStarman2001@... wrote:

        > stary so far.

        lol :o}}
      • eyecueco
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2004
          Dear Dr. Starmann,

          I am very interested in what you are teaching us here, but,
          your illustrations are not showing up in the posts when one
          is reading on site at Yahoo.

          Is it possible to put your illustrations into files that could be accessed?

          Sincerely,
          Paulina
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 20, 2004
            eyecueco@... writes:

            Dear Dr. Starman,
            I am very interested in what you are teaching us here, but,
            your illustrations are not showing up in the posts when one
            is reading on site at Yahoo.
            Is it possible to put your illustrations into files that could be accessed?
            Sincerely,
            Paulina

            *******YES, I CAN DO THAT EVENTUALLY. YAHOO NOTIFIED US A YEAR OR SO AGO THAT IT WILL NO LONGER SAVE THE GRAPHICS AND/OR ATTACHMENTS IN THE MESSAGE ARCHIVES OF E-GROUPS. TAKES TOO MUCH SPACE, I GUESS. ALL THE MORE REASON TO ALLOW AN E-GROUP TO SEND ONE E-MAIL IN REAL TIME.
               ONCE I GET SOME FEEDBACK THAT SHOWS THE DIAGRAMS ARE DONE WELL ENOUGH FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY NEED TO UNDERSTAND BY MEANS OF THEM, I'LL PUT TOGETHER A FINISHED SEQUENCE WITH SOME ADDITIONAL MATERIAL. I MIGHT ALSO PUT THEM ON MY OWN WEB SITE.
            STARMAN
            http://www.DrStarman.net
          • Pierre Gringoire
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22, 2004
              > ONCE I GET SOME FEEDBACK THAT SHOWS THE DIAGRAMS ARE DONE
              > WELL ENOUGH FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY NEED TO
              > UNDERSTAND BY MEANS OF THEM, I'LL PUT TOGETHER A FINISHED
              > SEQUENCE WITH SOME ADDITIONAL MATERIAL.

              The information provided so far has been very clear.  I suspect any problems that may arise will arise when the astronomical data is converted into astrological interpretation -- that aspect is much less clear (for me at least).  None the less, it is obvious that what has been presented comes from experience and not merely from reading books on the subject.  That is what gives it its value.  The approach is very useful.  Please continue.