Casting A Horoscope: The Fixed Stars

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2004

      ********THE FIXED STARS -1

          There are two main kinds of lights in the sky-----stars and planets. Right now several of the planets are brilliantly visible, as you all have hopefully seen by now ---- but they are not always in the places you see them now. They move against a background of stars that do NOT seem to move relative to each other. Now we're going to be just looking at the STARS in our diagram (which in another year might be all that you would see in February, the planets all being elsewhere).

         The stars used to be called the "fixed stars" because they DON'T move relative to each other. What I mean by "relative to each other" is this: for example, the group of stars you hopefully have learned to recognize by now as Taurus and the Pleiades ----which in the drawing is at about the 1 o'clock position, where it is every February 2 hours after sunset---- is one "hour" away from the group of stars called Gemini the Twins, nearing the 12 o'clock position. They will ALWAYS appear to be about one "hour" or 1/12th of the circle away from each other. When Taurus is at the 2 o'clock position, Gemini will be at about 1, when Taurus is at 3, Gemini will be at about 2, and so on. The two groups of stars will never be any nearer to each other or further away from each other. They seem to move together, as if they were all "fixed" to a sphere turning over our heads.

         Likewise, when Gemini is between the 11:00 and 12:00 positions, Leo will be between the 9:00 and 10:00 positions, two "hours" away. They will always be about two clock-face "hours" apart. Every time you see Gemini the Twins, the Lion will be two hour-positions "behind" or counterclockwise from it, never nearer or farther apart.

         Moreover, the PATTERN the stars make, like the double line of stars Gemini makes or the "V" shape arrangement of the Bull's face--- will also never change. (The stars are actually moving, we think, but their movements relative to each other are so slow that for ages they will appear to make the same patterns.)

          Ancient man could learn these star-patterns easily and quickly see that they do not change in their patterns or in their distance from each other. I learned all the major star-groups in one winter just by observing. Orion the Hunter is said to fight the Bull: he stands close to him, facing him and battling him through all eternity. During the night, Orion moves from east to west, Taurus always keeping the same distance ahead of him. And to his left, Sirius the Dog Star, brightest star in the Northern Hemisphere, is one of two Hunting Dog stars which travel along with the Hunter, following the same distance behind him as he races across the sky.

      To Be Continued