    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2004

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the lunar forces), and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to its complete form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation AQUARIUS from Feb. 9th to March 8th in our era. A version of the symbolic image of the WATER-MAN done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.
           For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 4  *
      Ergriefend neue Sinnesreize
      Erfühlet Seelenklarheit,
      Eingedenk vollzogener Geistgeburt,
      Verwirren sprossend Weltenwerden
      Mit meines Denkens Schöpferwillen.

      Grasping new sense-arisings
      Fulfilling Soul-Clarity,
      Mindful of acheived Spirit-Birth,
      Entangling sprouting World-Becoming
      With my Thinking's Shaping-Will.

      This week's mantra:
      We are heading towards spring and summer, when our inner selves once more
      sleep while the Earth awakens. This week, stirrings of life in the wakening
      outer world combine with our wills as we continue to unfold the spirit-birth
      acheived at Christmas.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 9 *
      Geheimnisvoll das Neu-Empfang'ne
      Mit der Erinnerung zu umschliessen,
      Sie meines Strebens weitrer Sinn:
      Es soll starkend Eigenkräfte
      In meinem Innern wecken
      Und werdend mich mir selber geben.

      Mysteriously the newly-received
      With the Memory to enclose,
      Be my Striving's wider Sense:
      It will strengthen Self-forces
      In my Inner awaken
      And becoming me my self give.

      *******The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the play of light
      and warmth; then, from out of the Spirit revealed in the outer world, we are
      to find our "selves" again in the World-Self. This week that process is at
      the point where we have received this 'world self' in the past month, have
      taken in to the soul's depths, and now we seek to enclose this Summer-Event
      within memory. In the future, the world's very essence will become something
      permanently part of us, giving us a new 'self' as it evolves us further.
                                             **********************************

      Sunday,  February 15th. Moon Capricorn. Galilei Born 1564. Lessing died 1781.

      Monday,
      February 16th. Moon Capricorn. Ernst Haeckel born 1834.

      Tuesday,
      February 17th. Moon Aquarius. Giordano Bruno burned 1600. Olcott died 1907.

      Wednesday,
      February 18th. Moon Aquarius. Luther died 1546. Michelangelo died 1564. Volta born 1745.

      Thursday,  February 19th. Moon Aquarius.  Copernicus born 1473. 1700, Acceptance of the Gregorian Calendar by the Protestants.

      Friday,
      February 20th. Moon Pisces. New Moon.  Voltaire born 1694.

      Saturday,
      February 21st. Moon Pisces.  Spinoza died 1677.

        The Planets :  Brilliant Venus is visible in the West each night above the setting sun, as an "evening star", as are reddish Mars in the South, settting in the West before midnight, and yellowish Saturn, which can be seen in the East from sunset on to the right of the two stars Castor and Pollux of the constellation Gemini, then moving Westward all through the night. Jupiter rises not long after sunset, beneath the Lion. All these planets will be visible in the evening sky throughout the spring.

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2013
      • 1 Attachment
      • 18 KB

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORN from January 5th through Feb. 8th in our era. A version (done by Margot Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the GOAT from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) in the color he said corresponded to the sign, one of 5 shades of 'Magenta' we can't yet actually see, is attached to this e-mail.

      * MANTRA # 44 *

      Ergriefend neue Sinnesreize

      Erfühlet Seelenklarheit,

      Eingedenk vollzogener Geistgeburt,

      Verwirren sprossend Weltenwerden

      Mit meines Denkens Schöpferwillen.

      Grasping new sense-arisings

      Filling Soul-Clarity,

      Mindful of achieved Spirit-Birth,

      Combining sprouting World-Becoming

      With my Thinking’s Shaping-Will.

          We are heading towards spring and summer, when our inner selves once more
      sleep while the Earth awakens. This week, stirrings of life in the wakening
      outer world combine with our wills as we continue to unfold the spirit-birth
      achieved at Christmas.

      THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

      Sunday, February 3rd. Moon Scorpio.  Ansgarius (brought Christianity to the Swedes and Danes in the 9th century).

      Monday, February 4th. Moon Sagittarius Phileas (worker for Christianity in Egypt in the 4th century).

      Tuesday, February 5th. Moon Sagittarius Thomas Carlyle died 1881.

      Wednesday,  February 6th. Moon Capricorn. 1807  Abolition of Slavery in England.

      Thursday,  February 7th. Moon Capricorn  1446 Columbus born.

      Friday
       February 8th. Moon Aquarius.  Solomon, King of Israel. Leyden University founded 1575. David Friedrich Strauss died 1874.

      Saturday,  Febr
      uary 9th. Moon Aquarius. New Moon.  Apollonia, Christian martyr in Alexandria in the 3rd century.

      ******* PLANETS IN THE EVENING SKY:

         Jupiter is the bright white 'star' in the east that dominates the night sky, already risen at sunset, next to the bright orange-red star Aldebaran, the Eye of the Bull of Taurus.
         The waning moon can be seen rising in the east about midnight Sunday night, and the yellowish dot of light near it is the planet Saturn.