    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2004

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the lunar forces), and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation AQUARIUS from Feb. 9th to March 8th in our era. A version of the symbolic image of the WATER-MAN done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.
           For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 3  *
      In Winterlichen Tiefen
      Erwarmt des Geistes wahres Sein;
      Es gibt dem Weltenscheine,
      Durch Herzenskräfte Daseinsmächt
      Der Weltenkälte trotzt erstarkend
      Das Seelenfeuer in Menscheninnern.

      It Winter-like deeps
      Grows warm the Spirit's true Being;
      It gives to World-Shining
      Through Heart's strength Existence's Might,
      The World-Cold despite, there strengthens
      The Soul-Fire in Man's Innerness.

          Last week's verse, when worked with, led us to feel the strong drive to
      continue unfolding the inner soul's power, and this gave us within our hearts
      a prophetic sensing of the reality to come in the coming spring and summer,
      when our inner selves once more sleep while the Earth awakens. This week, the
      spirit pours into the soul's fiery power growing stronger, and through the
      heart gives to the mere appearance of the outer world a reality it otherwise
      would not have.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 8 *
      Kann ich die Seele weiten,
      Dass sie sich selbst verbinden
      Empfangnem Welten-Keimesworte?
      Ich ahne, dass ich Kraft muss finden
      Die Seele würdig zu gestalten
      Zum Geistes-Kleide sich zu bilden.

      Can I the Soul widen
      That she herself can bind
      To conceived World-Seed-Word?
      I sense that I strength must find
      The Soul worthily to form
      To Spirit-Clothing to build itself.

          The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the play of light
      and warmth; then, from out of the Spirit revealed in the outer world, we are
      to find our "selves" again in the World-Self, in the wintertime. This week we
      feel a foresensing of the need for more inner strength, to widen ourselves
      more so as to take in that world that speaks to us through the senses' beauty
      (which we have been taking in to the soul's depths since Summer began). The
      expanse of the world in its very essence is already a seed planted within us
      by the Cosmic Word, like a conception which will lead to birth in the wintertime;
      we feel the need to form our Soul well enough to provide the
      outer garment for this spirit when it 'incarnates'.

                                             **********************************

      Sunday,  February 8th. Moon Virgo.  Solomon, King of Israel. Leyden University founded 1575. David Friedrich Strauss died 1874.

      Monday,
      February 9th. Moon Libra. Apollonia, Christian martyr in Alexandria in the 3rd century.

      Tuesday,
      February 10th. Moon Libra.  Theophany of Paul on the Way to Damascus. 1847 Edison born. 1755 Montesquieu died.

      Wednesday,
      February 11th. Moon Scorpio. 1650 Descartes died.

      Thursday,  February 12th. Moon Scorpio. 1804 Kant died. 1809 Darwin born.

      Friday,
      February 13th. Moon Sagittarius.  1883 Richard Wagner died.

      Saturday,
      February 14th. Moon Sagittarius. Seafarer Cook killed 1779. Nees v. Esenbeck, Botanist, born 1776.

        Planets:  Brilliant Venus is now visible in the West above the setting sun, as an "evening star", as are reddish Mars in the South, settting in the West before midnight, and yellowish Saturn, which can be seen in the East from sunset on to the right of the two stars Castor and Pollux of the constellation Gemini, then moving Westward all through the night. Jupiter rises about midnight, beneath the Lion. The Moon, just past full, is near it Sunday night. All these planets will be visible in the evening sky throughout the spring.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2011
      Sorry to be late with this week's calendar. -starman

          Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form, with some details added on the planets in the night sky this week as well.

                                                             *******
                  THE ZODIAC IMAGE
         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORN from Jan. 5th through Feb. 8th in our era.  A version (done by Margaret Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the SEA-GOAT from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) ----in an approximation of the color he said corresponded to the sign, one of 5 shades of  "purple" we can't yet actually perceive ---- is attached to this e-mail.

       *  M A N T R A  # 4 3  *

      In Winterlichen Tiefen

      Erwarmt des Geistes wahres Sein;

      Es gibt dem Weltenscheine,

      Durch Herzenskräfte Daseinsmächt

      Der Weltenkälte trotzt erstarkend

      Das Seelenfeuer in Menscheninnern.

      It Winter-like depths

      Grows warm the Spirit’s true Being;

      It gives to World-Shining

      Through Heart’s strength, Existence’s Might,

      The World-Cold despite, there strengthens

      The Soul-Fire in Man’s Innerness.

      An interpretation of the mantra based on working with it:

         Last week's verse, when worked with, led us to feel the strong drive to continue unfolding the inner soul's power, and this gave us within our hearts a prophetic sensing of the reality to come in the coming spring and summer, when our inner selves once more sleep while the Earth awakens. This week, the spirit pours into the soul's fiery power growing stronger, and through the heart gives to the mere appearance of the outer world a reality it otherwise would not have.

                THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

      Sunday, January 23rd. Moon Libra.
      Wedding Anniversary of Mary & Joseph.

      Monday,  January 24th.  Moon Libra.

      Day of St. Timothy (Student of Paul, stoned to death in Ephesus because of his preaching against the worship of Diana).

      Tuesday,  January 25th. Moon Scorpio.
      Anniversary of Paul’s Conversion on the Way to Damascus. Philosopher Jacobi born 1743.

      Wednesday,  January 26thMoon Scorpio. Last Quarter.

       Polycarp (School of the Evangelist John, taken to Smyrna in old age and burned to death in the year 169).

      Thursday,  January 27thMoon Scorpio.

      John Chrysostom (Bishop to Constantinople, operated under Emperor Eudoxia, sharply censured him morally, burned 407). Mozart born 1756. Schelling born 1775. 1814 Fichte died. 1808 David Friedrich Strauss born.

      Friday,  January 28th. Moon Sagittarius.

       Day of Remembrance of Charlemagne (died 814).

      Saturday,   January 29th. Moon Sagittarius.

       Constantine the Great (first Christian Roman Emperor, baptized shortly before his death in 312 A.D.). Theobald (advanced Christianity in England in the 13th century).

      ******* PLANETS IN THE NIGHT SKY:
      Brilliant white JUPITER may be seen in the southwestern sky till about midnight.

      ******* PLANETS IN THE MORNING SKY:
      The brilliant "morning star" Venus is seen in the East every day before sunrise. The waning crescent moon is close to it Saturday morning. Yellowish Saturn is visible directly south until shortly before sunrise.