    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the lunar forces), and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORN from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. A version of the symbolic image of the SEA-GOAT done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.
           For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 2  *
      Es ist in diesem Winterdunkel
      Die offenbarung eigner krafte
      Der Seele starker Trieb,
      In Finsternisse sie zu lenken,
      Und ahnend vorzufühlen
      Durch Herzenswärme Sinnesoffenbarung.

      It is, in this Winter-dimness,
      The revealing of its own Strength
      The Soul's strong Drive,
      In Darkness so to lead,
      And feeling full of presentiment
      Through Heart's Warmth, the Senses' Revelation.

      Last week's verse, when worked with, could lead us to feel how the power working
      in the foundations of the soul strove outward, so that divine forces could
      pour themselves into what we create, both in our love and in our work. This
      week, we can feel the strong drive to continue unfolding this power, and this
      gives us within our hearts a prophetic sensing of the reality to come in the
      coming spring and summer, when our inner selves once more "sleep" while the
      Earth "awakens."

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 7 *
      Es spricht das Weltenwort,
      Das ich durch Sinnestore
      In Seelengründen durfte führen:
      Erfülle deine Geistestiefen
      Mit meinen Weltenweiten,
      Zu finden einstens mich in dir.

      There speaks the World-Word,
      That I through the Senses' Gate
      Would let lead to Soul's Ground:
      "Fill your Spirit-Deeps
      With my World-Widenesses
      To find one day Me in you."

      The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the play of light
      and warmth, so strong that it dims down the Ego's thinking; then, from out of
      the Spirit revealed in the outer world, we are to find our "selves" again in
      the World-Self. This week that world speaks to us through the senses' beauty
      which we take in to the soul's depths, saying that as we fill our "I" with
      the expanse of the world its very essence will become something permanently
      part of us.

      Sunday,  February 1st. Moon Cancer. Brigid, patron saint of Ireland, died 500. Ignatius (school of the Evangelist John, by command of the Emperor Trajan torn apart by wild animals).

      February 2nd. Moon Cancer. Mary's Light-mass (Candlemas). Simeon (the old man. that according to the Evangelist recognized Jesus at his presentation in the Temple).

      February 3rd. Moon Cancer. Ansgarius (brought Christianity to the Swedes and Danes in the 9th century).

      February 4th. Moon Leo. Phileas (worker for Christianity in Egypt in the 4th century).

      Thursday,  February 5th. Moon Leo. Full Moon.
      Thomas Carlyle died 1881.

      February 6th. Moon Virgo.  1807 Abolition of Slavery in England.

      February 7th. Moon Virgo. 1446 Columbus born.

        Planets:  Brilliant Venus is now visible in the West above the setting sun, as an "evening star", as are reddish Mars in the South, settting in the West before midnight, and yellowish Saturn, which can be seen in the East from sunset on to the right of the two stars Castor and Pollux of the constellation Gemini, then moving Westward all through the night . Jupiter rises about midnight, beneath the Lion. All these planets will be visible in the evening sky throughout the spring.