    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2004

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the lunar forces), and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORN from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. A version of the symbolic image of the SEA-GOAT done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.
           For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 1  *
      Der Seele Schaffensmacht,
      Sie strebet aus dem Herzensgrunde,
      Im Menschenleben Gotterkräft
      Zu rechtem Wirken zu entflammen,
      Sich selber zu gestalten
      Im Menschenliebe und im Menschenwerke.

      The Soul's Shaping-Might
      It strives from out of Heart's Ground,
      In Man's Life Godly Stength
      To righteous Work to enflame,
      So itself to form
      In Man's Love and in Man's Work.

          Last week's mantra, when worked with, led us to feel how our selfhood, which would otherwise remain an illusionary, was made real by the fiery power of the World-Word, through Love. This week, this power working in the foundation of the soul strives outward, so that these fiery divine forces can pour themselves into what we create, both in our love and in our work

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 6 *
      Zu bergen Geistgeschenk im Innern,
      Gebietet strenge mir mein Ahnen,
      Dass reifend Gottesgaben
      In Seelengründen fruchtend
      Der Selbstheit Früchte bringen.

      To save the Spirit-Gifts in my Inner self
      Bids me strongly my sensing of the future,
      So that those ripening God-gifts
      In the Soul's Ground bearing fruit
      The Selfhood's Fruit will bring.

         The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the summer play of
      light and warmth, to find ourselves in a different way later in the year; and
      this is just what the past few week's verses have pictured. Now this Spirit
      we surrendered to so strongly has wrapped itself about the Ego, planting
      seeds we sense will grow towards the future, and as they ripen, our own
      abilities will.

                                             **********************************

      Sunday,  January 25th. Moon Aries. Anniversary of Paul's Conversion on the Way to Damascus. Philosopher Jacobi born 1743.

      Monday,   January  26th. Moon Aries.
      Polycarp (School of the Evangelist John, taken to Smyrna in old age and burned to death in the year 169).

      Tuesday,   January  27th. Moon Aries.
      John Chrysostom (Bishop to Constantinople, operated under Emperor Eudoxia, sharply censured him morally, burned 407). Mozart born 1756. Schelling born 1775. 1814 Fichte died. 1808 David Friedrich Strauss born.

      Wednesday,  January 28th. Moon Taurus. First Quarter.
      Day of Remembrance of Charlemagne (died 814).

      Thursday,  January 29th. Moon Taurus.
      Constantine the Great (first Christian Roman Emperor, baptized shortly before his death in 312 A.D.). Theobald (advanced Christianity in England in the 13th century).

      Friday,  January 30th. Moon Gemini.
      Alexander.

      Saturday,  January 31st. Moon Gemini.  Marcella. Petrus Nolascenus.

        Planets:  Brilliant Venus is now visible in the West above the setting sun, as an "evening star", as are reddish Mars in the South, settting in the West before midnight, and yellowish Saturn, which can be seen in the East from sunset on to the right of the two stars Castor and Pollux of the constellation Gemini, then moving Westward all through the night with them . Jupiter rises after midnight beneath the Lion. All these planets will be visible in the evening sky all throughout the spring.