approaches to the zodiac

  • james wandzala
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2004
      It would seem that the most beneficial approach to studying the zodiac would be one where we are able to relate all of these things that we learn to our own individuality. In this way we would come to know and understand the true existence of these twelve through our own experience, because they exist and are at work in ourselves.

      Rudolf Steiner tells us:

      """...it is essential to know that twelve different pictures of the Ego can be seen. There are twelve different pictures of every single Ego, and only after contemplating it from twelve different standpoints have we a complete picture. This veiw of the Ego from outside corresponds exactly to what is reflected in the relationship of the twelve constellations of the Zodiac to the Sun. Just as the Sun passes through the twelve constellations and has in each a different power, just as it illumines our Earth through the course of the year and even of a day, from twelve different stations, so the human Ego is illumined from twelve different stations in the higher world.

      Therefore in rising into the higher worlds we must realize the necessity of not being satisfied with one standpoint only. We must train ourselves in this in order to escape confusion. We can only do so by accustoming ourselves in the physical world to realize that salvation is not achieved by contemplating any matter from one standpoint only."""

      http://wn.elib.com/Steiner/Lectures/Places/Vienna/19100329p01.html

      If we use the Ego as our point of refence for studying the zodiac we then have twelve different approaches that are opened up to us, twelve different points of refence through which we can understand each of the twelve of the zodiac. What we learn of the zodiac can be applied to an understanding of the Ego, and what we learn of the Ego can be applied to our understanding of the zodiac. When this method is carried out we have not only twelve points of reference, but twelve times twelve. If our study of the zodiac, the tarot, and so on, does not relate what we learn to our own inner being then the result of this is hardly more than unconfirmed and superstitious belief. But on the other hand when these are realized as being an intimate part of our own individuality then they would be realized as living entities, as the living forces of nature.

      JW

      Do you Yahoo!?