Re: [steiner] greek myths, etc.

  • LilOleMissy@SBCglobal.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2004
      Dr. Starman is far more able to give an accurate answer than I, but I'd like to recommend Edith Hamilton's work on Greek mythology. I apologize for not remembering the exact title of her work, and there are many other sources, such as the Finnish epic poem, The Kalavala, the ancient Bagavad Gita as well as the Norse myths from which Wagner extracted his wonderful 4 Ring Operas, and on and on. It seems to me Beowulf is the oldest epic poem and there's the Epic of Gilgamish, all of which ring with truth. In modern times, I see incredible truth incorporated in Tolkien's "Ring" series plus his Silmarillion. Now that I have everyone all confused, I'll retreat once more and leave kind Dr. Starman to put the pieces together - again!

      Cheers,

      Sheila

      dcf330@... wrote:
      Thanks Starman for that information. I'm also particularly interested in how Greek myths relate to cosmic occurences. For instance, are the myths symbols of actions of the cosmos, or are they related to those that were in fact gods at that time? Does Apollo wintering in Hyperborea coincide with the separation of the sun and the beginning of seasons on earth, etc? Anyone who has any books to recommend on this subject or any information on whether Greek myths relate to cosmic events and collective memory or are ways to describe ancient facts, please share. Thanks.

      Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

      ommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • dcf330@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2004
        Thanks Sheila & Starman. I think I'll start with Steiner's lecture and then try the Edith Hamilton book.

        dcf330@... wrote:
        Thanks Starman for that information. I'm also particularly interested in how Greek myths relate to cosmic occurences. For instance, are the myths symbols of actions of the cosmos, or are they related to those that were in fact gods at that time? Does Apollo wintering in Hyperborea coincide with the separation of the sun and the beginning of seasons on earth, etc? Anyone who has any books to recommend on this subject or any information on whether Greek myths relate to cosmic events and collective memory or are ways to describe ancient facts, please share. Thanks.

        Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

        ommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

        ommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Click to learn more...

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • eyecueco@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 16, 2004
          dcf330@... wrote:

          >Thanks Sheila amp; Starman. I think I'll start with Steiner's lecture and then try the Edith Hamilton book.

          Dear dcf,

          I think the book you are needing/wanting is by W.O Sucher and is called ISIS SOPHIA, An Outline of A New Star Wisdom.
          If you will look in the archives you will find a post (I don't post often) fraom about a month or so agao wherein I give inforamtion on how to obtain this book. I think it is from a college in Calif., but, can't recall off hand.

          Netscape. Just the Net You Need.
        • LilOleMissy@SBCglobal.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2004
            eyecueco@... wrote:
            dcf330@... wrote:

            >Thanks Sheila amp; Starman. I think I'll start with Steiner's lecture and then try the Edith Hamilton book.

            Dear dcf,

            I think the book you are needing/wanting is by  W.O Sucher and is called ISIS SOPHIA, An Outline of A New Star Wisdom.
            If you will look in the archives you will find a post (I don't post often) fraom about a month or so agao wherein I give inforamtion on how to obtain this book.  I think it is from a college in Calif., but, can't recall off hand.
            eyecueco, that might be Rudolf Steiner College in Fair Oaks, California, which is really almost a part of Sacramento. Just a guess here.

            A note here to all on the list: Before we started our very productive 12 Holy Nights Study with Dr. Starman and receiving the wonderful contributions and feelings of
            blessed community, I informed the list I would produce "The Inner Nature of Man" - Steiner's Vienna lectures he recommended for reading to the dead, for our Files section. I am way behind, and wished to let everyone know the project is still in the works but delayed due to my husband being seriously ill just before and during Christmas, requiring my intensive care here at home as well as hospitalization.  Remember, now: One of our Soul Attributes is to be Patience? :) So we'll hold that work in abeyance for a while longer.

            My apologies,

            Sheila

          • dcf330@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 17, 2004

              >Thanks Sheila amp; Starman. I think I'll start with Steiner's lecture and then try the Edith Hamilton book.

              Dear dcf,

              I think the book you are needing/wanting is by  W.O Sucher and is called ISIS SOPHIA, An Outline of A New Star Wisdom.
              If you will look in the archives you will find a post (I don't post often) fraom about a month or so agao wherein I give inforamtion on how to obtain this book.  I think it is from a college in Calif., but, can't recall off hand.
              eyecueco, that might be Rudolf Steiner College in Fair Oaks, California, which is really almost a part of Sacramento. Just a guess here.

              A note here to all on the list: Before we started our very productive 12 Holy Nights Study with Dr. Starman and receiving the wonderful contributions and feelings of
              blessed community, I informed the list I would produce "The Inner Nature of Man" - Steiner's Vienna lectures he recommended for reading to the dead, for our Files section. I am way behind, and wished to let everyone know the project is still in the works but delayed due to my husband being seriously ill just before and during Christmas, requiring my intensive care here at home as well as hospitalization.  Remember, now: One of our Soul Attributes is to be Patience? :) So we'll hold that work in abeyance for a while longer.

              My apologies,

              Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

              ommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              OK, thanks eyecueco and Sheila. Sorry to hear about your husband, Sheila, I hope he's feeling better soon.