greek myths, etc.

  • dcf330@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2004
      Thanks Starman for that information. I'm also particularly interested in how Greek myths relate to cosmic occurences. For instance, are the myths symbols of actions of the cosmos, or are they related to those that were in fact gods at that time? Does Apollo wintering in Hyperborea coincide with the separation of the sun and the beginning of seasons on earth, etc? Anyone who has any books to recommend on this subject or any information on whether Greek myths relate to cosmic events and collective memory or are ways to describe ancient facts, please share. Thanks.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 12, 2004
        dcf330@... writes:
        Thanks Starman for that information. I'm also particularly interested in how Greek myths relate to cosmic occurences. For instance, are the myths symbols of actions of the cosmos, or are they related to those that were in fact gods at that time? Does Apollo wintering in Hyperborea coincide with the separation of the sun and the beginning of seasons on earth, etc? Anyone who has any books to recommend on this subject or any information on whether Greek myths relate to cosmic events and collective memory or are ways to describe ancient facts, please share. Thanks.

        ******* That's a mighty big study! A good place to begin might be one of Steiner's main lecture-courses on that topic, "Ancient Myths: Their Meaning and Connection With Evolution"  in 1918, in which the Doctor goes into the 3 generations of Greek gods as found in Hesiod's Theogony and how they correspond to the 3 worlds, etc.

           A good written work of Steiner's to start with even before that would be the chapter of Christianity As A Mystical Fact and the Mysteries of Antiquity, on how the "Myths" were Mystery-truths embodied in picture-form by the initiates, entitled "Mystery Wisdom and Myth", which can be read online here:

        http://wn.elib.com/Steiner/Books/GA008/English/RPC1961/GA008_c05.html

           He also refers to Indian (Buddhist) and Egyptian myths there.

           In addition, because any myth can be interpreted on many levels (some say 3 --- the early Church Father Origen said 7), Steiner refers to them extensively through all his lectures. That might make a good discussion to have here if there's interest.

      • LilOleMissy@SBCglobal.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12, 2004
          Dr. Starman is far more able to give an accurate answer than I, but I'd like to recommend Edith Hamilton's work on Greek mythology. I apologize for not remembering the exact title of her work, and there are many other sources, such as the Finnish epic poem, The Kalavala, the ancient Bagavad Gita as well as the Norse myths from which Wagner extracted his wonderful 4 Ring Operas, and on and on. It seems to me Beowulf is the oldest epic poem and there's the Epic of Gilgamish, all of which ring with truth. In modern times, I see incredible truth incorporated in Tolkien's "Ring" series plus his Silmarillion. Now that I have everyone all confused, I'll retreat once more and leave kind Dr. Starman to put the pieces together - again!

          Cheers,

          Sheila

          dcf330@... wrote:
          Thanks Starman for that information. I'm also particularly interested in how Greek myths relate to cosmic occurences. For instance, are the myths symbols of actions of the cosmos, or are they related to those that were in fact gods at that time? Does Apollo wintering in Hyperborea coincide with the separation of the sun and the beginning of seasons on earth, etc? Anyone who has any books to recommend on this subject or any information on whether Greek myths relate to cosmic events and collective memory or are ways to describe ancient facts, please share. Thanks.

          Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

          ommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • dcf330@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 14, 2004
            Thanks Sheila & Starman. I think I'll start with Steiner's lecture and then try the Edith Hamilton book.

            dcf330@... wrote:
            Thanks Starman for that information. I'm also particularly interested in how Greek myths relate to cosmic occurences. For instance, are the myths symbols of actions of the cosmos, or are they related to those that were in fact gods at that time? Does Apollo wintering in Hyperborea coincide with the separation of the sun and the beginning of seasons on earth, etc? Anyone who has any books to recommend on this subject or any information on whether Greek myths relate to cosmic events and collective memory or are ways to describe ancient facts, please share. Thanks.

            Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

            ommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

            ommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            Click to learn more...

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • eyecueco@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2004
              dcf330@... wrote:

              >Thanks Sheila amp; Starman. I think I'll start with Steiner's lecture and then try the Edith Hamilton book.

              Dear dcf,

              I think the book you are needing/wanting is by W.O Sucher and is called ISIS SOPHIA, An Outline of A New Star Wisdom.
              If you will look in the archives you will find a post (I don't post often) fraom about a month or so agao wherein I give inforamtion on how to obtain this book. I think it is from a college in Calif., but, can't recall off hand.

              Netscape. Just the Net You Need.
            • LilOleMissy@SBCglobal.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2004
                eyecueco@... wrote:
                dcf330@... wrote:

                >Thanks Sheila amp; Starman. I think I'll start with Steiner's lecture and then try the Edith Hamilton book.

                Dear dcf,

                I think the book you are needing/wanting is by  W.O Sucher and is called ISIS SOPHIA, An Outline of A New Star Wisdom.
                If you will look in the archives you will find a post (I don't post often) fraom about a month or so agao wherein I give inforamtion on how to obtain this book.  I think it is from a college in Calif., but, can't recall off hand.
                eyecueco, that might be Rudolf Steiner College in Fair Oaks, California, which is really almost a part of Sacramento. Just a guess here.

                A note here to all on the list: Before we started our very productive 12 Holy Nights Study with Dr. Starman and receiving the wonderful contributions and feelings of
                blessed community, I informed the list I would produce "The Inner Nature of Man" - Steiner's Vienna lectures he recommended for reading to the dead, for our Files section. I am way behind, and wished to let everyone know the project is still in the works but delayed due to my husband being seriously ill just before and during Christmas, requiring my intensive care here at home as well as hospitalization.  Remember, now: One of our Soul Attributes is to be Patience? :) So we'll hold that work in abeyance for a while longer.

                My apologies,

                Sheila

              • dcf330@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 17, 2004

                  >Thanks Sheila amp; Starman. I think I'll start with Steiner's lecture and then try the Edith Hamilton book.

                  Dear dcf,

                  I think the book you are needing/wanting is by  W.O Sucher and is called ISIS SOPHIA, An Outline of A New Star Wisdom.
                  If you will look in the archives you will find a post (I don't post often) fraom about a month or so agao wherein I give inforamtion on how to obtain this book.  I think it is from a college in Calif., but, can't recall off hand.
                  eyecueco, that might be Rudolf Steiner College in Fair Oaks, California, which is really almost a part of Sacramento. Just a guess here.

                  A note here to all on the list: Before we started our very productive 12 Holy Nights Study with Dr. Starman and receiving the wonderful contributions and feelings of
                  blessed community, I informed the list I would produce "The Inner Nature of Man" - Steiner's Vienna lectures he recommended for reading to the dead, for our Files section. I am way behind, and wished to let everyone know the project is still in the works but delayed due to my husband being seriously ill just before and during Christmas, requiring my intensive care here at home as well as hospitalization.  Remember, now: One of our Soul Attributes is to be Patience? :) So we'll hold that work in abeyance for a while longer.

                  My apologies,

                  Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

                  ommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  OK, thanks eyecueco and Sheila. Sorry to hear about your husband, Sheila, I hope he's feeling better soon.