Re: [steiner] question for Starman

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2004
      dcf330@... writes:
      Starman, I have a question I was wondering if you might be able to answer.  Blavatsky mentions seven root races that correspond to different epochs in the evolution of man and spirit. I think the second she called the Hyperborean, when the sun split off from earth. Did Steiner ever make mention of that in any of his lectures, and do you know if that epoch corresponds with any of the constellations as the moon's departure coincided with the age of Scorpio.

      *******I'm sure he did, although it may not yet have been translated into English. As I said here awhile back, each of the 12 zodiac images represents one of these past events. We talked about doing a study of the 12, for which I have his original sketches with notations in German and the recollections by Imma von Eckerdstein of what he said expanding on these to her (she was the artist who first did them). He began them with Pisces so I was planning to start it in the spring, and perhaps we'll uncover the answer to that question & others along the way.
         By the way, you're correct, the first "Root Race" was the Polarean and the second the Hyperborean, and that was the one in which sun and earth separated. Steiner describes them in some detail in his book "Cosmic Memory", Chapter 8, which can be read online here:

      http://wn.elib.com/Steiner/Books/GA011/CM/GA011_c08.html

         These were followed by the Lemurian, in which earth and moon separated. The first root race was a recapitulation of the first world, Old Saturn, which was unitary, and so the early earth was as well, and then the second Root Race was the repetition of the Old Sun period in which there was a world apart from the sun (a sort of reembodiment of Saturn, for beings still at that level), and so earth and sun separated as a kind of reenactment of that. The separation of the Moon was a recap of the Old Moon.

         After writing the story in outline in the above book and in An Outline of Occult Science, he made innumerable references to it in lectures, in his plays, and in such things as the 12 Calendar of the Soul images and the motifs on the Goetheanum dome and glass-windows.