    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2004

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the lunar forces), and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORN from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. A version of the symbolic image of the SEA-GOAT done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.
           For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      *  M A N T R A  # 3 9  *
      An Geistesoffenbarung hingegeben
      Gewinne ich des Weltenwesens Licht.
      Gedankenkraft, sie wächst
      Sich klärend mir mich selbst zu geben,
      Und weckend löst sich mir
      Aus Denkermacht das Selbstgefühl.

      "To Spirit-Revealing given over,
      I win the World-Essence's Light.
      Thinking's Strength, it grows
      In clarity myself to give
      And waking loosens for me
      Out of Thinking's Might Self-Feeling."

      Last week we felt ourselves give birth to a new consciousness that will grow out into the world all the year to come.  This is the height of self-consciousness. This week's verse describes how, when we give ourselves over to the revelations coming from our inner Spirit, we gain the experiencing of the Light that infuses the outer world; and the power of thinking (which we do with the spirit) as it grows stronger, gives us the feeling of ourselves as a reality in the world.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 4 (Summer) *
      An Sinnesoffenbarung hingegeben,
      Verlor ich mein Eigenwesens Trieb,
      Gedankentraum, er schien
      Betäubend mir das Selbst zu rauben,
      Doch weckend nahet schon
      In Sinnenschein mir Weltendanken.

      To Senses' offerings given over
      I lose Self-Essence's Drive;
      Dreaminess of Thinking, it seems
      To stupefy me, the Self to rob,
      But a waking now approaches
      From Senses' Shining in me of World-Thinking.

         The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the play of light and warmth, so strong that it dims down the Ego's thinking; then, from out of the Spirit revealed in the outer world, we are to find our "selves" again in the World-Self. This week that World-Thinking, the Ideas the Spirit uses to build Nature, now begins to approach us in our summer waking-dream state, where we are immersed in the senses' beauty.

                                             **********************************

      Sunday,  January 11th. Moon Virgo. Friedrich von Schlegel died 1829.

      Monday,   January  12th. Moon Virgo.
      Gottschalk, Christian King in the 11th century.

      Tuesday,   January  13th. Moon Libra.
      Bernard of Clairveaux.

      Wednesday,  January 14th. Moon Libra. Last Quarter.
      Reis, inventor of the telephone,  died 1874.

      Thursday,  January 15th. Moon Scorpio.
      Macarius, celebrated Egyptian hermit of 4th century.

      Friday,  January 16th. Moon Scorpio.
      Faustus (lived in Alexandria in 3rd century).
                     Historical writer Gibbon died 1794.

      Saturday,  January 17th. Moon Sagittarius.
      Benjamin Franklin born 1706.

        Planets:  Venus is now visible in the West above the setting sun, as the "evening star". Reddish Mars still is visible in the South each evening, settting in the West about midnight. Saturn can be seen in the East from sunset on, moving Westward all through the night, to the right of the two stars Castor and Pollux of the constellation Gemini. Jupiter rises after midnight beneath the Lion; the Moon will be seen near it Sunday and Monday nights.

        All these planets will be visible in the sky all throughout the spring.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2010
      • 1 Attachment
      • 53 KB
      Sorry to be late with this week's Calendar. -starman

          Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form, with some details added on the planets in the night sky this week as well.

                                                             *******
                  THE ZODIAC IMAGE
         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation SAGITTARIUS from Dec. 1st to Jan. 4th in our era.  A version (done by Margaret Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the ARCHER from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) ----in an approximation of the color he said corresponded to the sign (one of 5 shades of purple we can't yet actually perceive) ---- is attached to this e-mail.

[...]

                THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

      Sunday, December 26th. Moon Virgo.   St. Stephen, the first Martyr.

      Monday,  December 27th.  Moon Libra.  Day of John, author of the Gospel. Kepler born 1571.

      Tuesday,  December 28th. Moon Libra. Last Quarter.  Day of Remembrance of the Innocent Children murdered by Herod.

      Wednesday,  December 29thMoon Scorpio. The Prophet Nathan.  Malthus the national economist died 1834.

      Thursday,  December 30thMoon Scorpio.  Day of David, King of Israel.

      Friday,  December 31st. Moon Scorpio.  J. Wycleff died 1384.

      Saturday,   January 1st. Moon Sagittarius.  Ulrich Zwingli born 1484.

      ******* PLANETS IN THE NIGHT SKY:
      Brilliant white JUPITER is high in the south at sunset and may be seen in the southern sky till after midnight.