[steiner] Knowledge of the Higher Worlds - Ch. 7

  • james wandzala
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2004
      Here is something I've read, just recently, that relates to a few of the points that Steiner makes here in chapter 7. I think that some of the group may find this to be interesting, and possibly helpful.
      In the book "The Conscious Interlude," Ralph M. Lewis writes:
          "The Rosicrucian philosophy delineates that there are two points of knowledge which arise as a result of the practice of the evolving of consciousness. Both of these are personally beneficial in our everyday life. The first point of knowledge which we may gain is an understanding of the hierarchy of selves of which we consist. We come to know, through evolvement of consciousness, that there is no fixed self which we must assume and which remains the same all through life, with its fixed point of view or objective. The self depends upon points of reference to what is related, just as our concepts of the world vary according to the extent that we study, read, travel, and meet people.
          If we tie our consciousness to the world of the senses, relying exclusively on them, we shall, then, manifest one kind of self, a purely mundane objective self. On the other hand, if the self is related to the rational side of our being, to contemplation, to the evaluation of experience, then we have still another of the selves of this hierarchy. If the self is referred to the emotional inner responses, to a wondering about our behavior and why we are motivated as we are, we come to a different type of self. Also, if the self is referred to intuition, to the subtle sensations of our own being, to a responding to them, we have an enlargement of self. The self, then, is an aggregate of the scale of personal consciousness. The whole self is a hierarchy of this variable consciousness of our own being.
          We cannot jump from the limited objective self, which concerns itself only with wordly things, to the extended mystical self. There is too great a gap between the two. To cross this gap quickly would be like an attempt to leap from the lowest rung of a high ladder to the top one. To attempt such a jump, as many do, produces religious fanatics, disillusioned individuals, and those unfortunates with mental aberrations. Each self has its own particular value; otherwise, we would not have consciousness of it. No mechanic uses one tool for all purposes. No surgeon uses one instrument for all operations. No one who has had the experience and realization, through evolving his consciousness, that there is a hierarchy of selves will ever attempt to build his own life on one self and its relationships.This point of the hierarchy of selves, it must be evident, provides an opportunity for the fullness of life.
          The second practical point of knowledge which emerges from the evolvement of consciousness is the acquiring of an infinite conception. The more you evolve your consciousness, the greater becomes the extent of your experience, the vaster the potentialities of knowledge. The aggrigate of experiences becomes your concept and this grows into infinity. With this infinite conception, you come to learn not to place limits upon anything. There are no limitations except the ability of mind to comprehend at any given time. This point develops in the aspirant a liberal view, a tolerant attitude.
          We know that no single stroke of the artist's brush, in itself, depicts the content of his painting; it is the aggregate of such strokes related to each other that gives form to the painting. So, too, the one who evolves his consciousness knows that no single point, no single attitude of mind, can constitute the whole scope of any subject. He knows that there are no absolutes in all of life. There are only relative conditions.
          We at times do accept things as they appear. When we do, it is only because, at that moment, we have not the ability to see beyond them. But even though we are momentarily limited, we must not crystallize our minds on such temporary limitations. We must be prepared for ultimate variations which will come, if we permit them."
      (an excerpt from "The Conscious Interlude" by Ralph M. Lewis)

      Do you Yahoo!?