The Alchemist

  • Sarah Ford Elliott (Unison)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2004
      Has anyone else read books by Paulo Coehlo? I re-read "The Alchemist"
      recently, as an antidote to another, more materialistic novel. It was the
      first book of his that I ever read, about three years ago, and I must admit
      that I wondered what all the fuss was about. I then read "The Pilgrimage" (I
      had bought them as a job lot!) and was extremely inspired and moved by it,
      enough to read almost all the rest of his "novels", all of which I loved
      ("The Fifth Mountain" is particularly good for anyone who is teaching about
      Elijah). I haven't read "The Valkyries" or "The Devil and Miss Prym".

      Anyway, the point being, when I re-read "The Alchemist", not only did I
      enjoy it a lot more, but I was amazed to find how much "Anthroposophy" there
      is in it, especially as I am studying "Higher Worlds" atm. I know that
      Alchemy has some kind of link to Esoteric Christianity / Rosicrucianism /
      Anthroposophy (call it what you will) - but it made me think. This book has
      been on the best-sellers shelf at WHS Smiths for at least the two years that
      I was frequenting it at Victoria Station, and probably still is. There must
      be an awful lot of people reading it!!

      Then I re-read "By the River Piedra I sat down and wept" and discovered
      that, not only is it a beautiful love story and a moving exploration of the
      battle to reconcile spiritual love with physical / emotional (Earthly) love,
      but it explores the experience of the feminine side of the godhead (which I
      think in Anthroposophy is called the Wisdom Sophia principle). Other things
      as well which tie in with what I have been reading in Steiner's Luke
      lectures - funny how that happens!

      I haven't yet allowed myself to buy Coehlo's autobiography "Confessions of a
      Pilgrim", but I do wonder if he has any connection with Anthroposophy, or
      whether all this comes from some other branch of the stream?

      Hmmmmm.........

      Yours,
      Sarah FE