Calendar of the Soul, Week 38 after Easter (Christmas)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2004
        The "Calendar of the Soul"

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the lunar forces), and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CAPRICORN from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. A symbolic image of the SEA-GOAT done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.
           For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      *  M A N T R A  # 3 8 (CHRISTMAS) *

      Ich fuhle wie entzaubert
      Das Geisteskind im Seelenschoss;
      Es hat in Herzenshelligkeit
      Gezeugt das heilige Weltenwort
      Der Hoffnung Himmelsfrucht,
      Die jubelnd wachst in Weltenfernen
      Aus meines Wesens Gottesgrund.

      "I feel set free from a spell
      The Spirit-Child in Soul's Womb;
      It has in Heart's Clear Light
      Begotten the holy World-Word
      Of Hope the Heavens' Fruit,
      To joyously grow into World-Farnesses
      Out of my Essence's God-Ground."

         Due to starting the 52 Soul-Calendar verses at Easter, which is a different date every year, this week is the actual "Christmas" verse, the week when the "Spirit-Child" is born in us. Last week we felt ourselves as light-beings carrying the Spirit into the darkness of matter, so that the divine working through us could enlighten it.
      This week we give birth to a new consciousness that will grow out into the
      world all the year to come.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 3 *
      Und bin ich in den Sinneshöhen,
      So flammt in meinen Seelentiefen
      Aus Geistes Feuerwelten
      Der Götter Wahrheitswort:
      In Geistesgründen suche ahnend
      Dich geistverwand zu finden.

      And when I am in the Senses' Heights
      There flames up in my Soul's Deeps
      Out of Spirit Fire-Worlds
      The Gods' Truth-Word:
      In Spirit-Ground seek expectantly
      Your spirit-relation to find.

         The spiritual force of the light is so strong that we lose ourselves
      totally in the senses, which is the World Spirit: and this is what we must
      experience fully in order to find our own Spirit which is united to it.

                                             **********************************

      Sunday,  January 4th. Moon Gemini.      Balthasar, one of the holy 3 Kings. Methusalah, died shortly before the Flood, which legend says happened in his 969th  year. Jacob Grimm born 1785. Mos. Mendelssohn died 1786.

      Monday,   January  5th. Moon Gemini.
      12th Day of Christmas. Francis Drake died 1596.

      Tuesday,   January  6th. Moon Cancer.
      Epiphany, the Festival of the Appearance of Christ. Day of the 3 Holy Kings. Joan of Arc born 1412. Schliemann born 1822.

      Wednesday,  January 7th. Moon Cancer. Full Moon.
      Lucian, the Editor-in-Chief of the Greek Bible text in the 3rd cent. A.D. in Antioch, who had 70 assistants.

      Thursday,  January 8th. Moon Leo.
      Galileo died 1642.

      Friday,  January 9th. Moon Leo.
      Adrian, who brought Christianity to Norway in the 12th century.

      Saturday,  January 10th. Moon Virgo.
        Linnaeus died 1778.

        Planets:  Venus is now visible in the West above the sunset, the "evening star". Reddish Mars still is visible in the South each evening, settting in the West about midnight. Saturn can be seen in the East from sunset on, moving Westward all through the night, to the right of the two stars Castor and Pollux of the constellation Gemini. The Full Moon is seen close to it Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Jupiter rises after midnight beneath the Lion. The Moon will be seen near Jupiter Sunday night Jan. 11th and Mon. the 12th.

        All these planets will be visible in the sky throughout the spring.