Re: Why Steiner?

  • Sena Fernando
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2000
      Thanks for your message,Dr.Starman,it does help me to clarify my
      thoughts.It is indeed interesting that while the Eastern philosphies
      are practised less and less in their countries of origin (I come from
      Sri Lanka),they have become fashionable in the West. I agree that
      Steiner's great achievement was to "integrate spiritual knowledge
      with all the rest of man's knowledge".
      Sena

      --- In steiner@egroups.com, DoctorStarman@a... wrote:

      > In a message dated 5/24/00 3:24:41 AM, steiner@egroups.com writes:
      >

      > *******Even the way the question is asked shows that Eastern
      religions are
      > what anthroposophy calls 'Luciferic'---as if the only thing to be
      sought for
      > is SELF-knowledge, SELF-this, SELF-that. And that is what attracts
      me to
      > Steiner--- his teachings, taken the right way at least, do not
      divorce one
      > from the world but enable a man to stand in the modern world and
      relate to
      > it: no running back into ancient stuff, running away to
      monasteries.

      > One might as well ask, "We have the Koran, why do we need any
      other
      > books?" (as the lovely folks who burned down the library of
      Alexandria asked,
      > and as the dead-heads in Iran have been asking for 20 years now).
      Well, maybe
      > to heal your sick, or to grow enough food so your masses don't
      starve while
      > your gurus withdraw into themselves (like India)? Some of us are
      interested
      > in integrating spiritual knowledge with all the rest of man's
      knowledge, not
      > setting it apart. Which one of these others you name has produced a
      cure for
      > cancer? A new system of agriculture that can intensify the life-
      forces?
      > Practical solutions to real-world problems?
      >
      > Eastern paths are great when you find the modern world too
      complicated
      > and want to drop out of it, but none are useful for a modern
      Westerner;
      > that's why Steiner for me. And one mark of this: none have the
      Christ....