Re: Why Steiner?

    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2000
      In a message dated 5/24/00 3:24:41 AM, steiner@egroups.com writes:

      > Why Steiner?
      >
      >For someone who wants to seek self-realization,spiritual
      >growth,enlightenment,salvation,or the meaning of life there are many
      >paths available.These are just a few:
      > (1)Buddhism - Zen,Theravada,Mahayana,Tibetan,Cha'n etc.
      > (2)Meditation - Transcendental.
      > (3)Transpersonal psychology.
      > (4)The Qabalah.
      > (5)Yoga - Siddhi,Raja,Kundalini.
      > (6)Christian mysticism.
      > (7)Non-duality.
      > (8)The Fourth Way.
      > (9)Taoism.
      >So,why Steiner?
      > I have my own ideas about this which I shall write about
      >presently,but I would be interested to know what other members think.
      > Sena

      *******Even the way the question is asked shows that Eastern religions are
      what anthroposophy calls 'Luciferic'---as if the only thing to be sought for
      is SELF-knowledge, SELF-this, SELF-that. And that is what attracts me to
      Steiner--- his teachings, taken the right way at least, do not divorce one
      from the world but enable a man to stand in the modern world and relate to
      it: no running back into ancient stuff, running away to monasteries.

      One might as well ask, "We have the Koran, why do we need any other
      books?" (as the lovely folks who burned down the library of Alexandria asked,
      and as the dead-heads in Iran have been asking for 20 years now). Well, maybe
      to heal your sick, or to grow enough food so your masses don't starve while
      your gurus withdraw into themselves (like India)? Some of us are interested
      in integrating spiritual knowledge with all the rest of man's knowledge, not
      setting it apart. Which one of these others you name has produced a cure for
      cancer? A new system of agriculture that can intensify the life-forces?
      Practical solutions to real-world problems?

      Eastern paths are great when you find the modern world too complicated
      and want to drop out of it, but none are useful for a modern Westerner;
      that's why Steiner for me. And one mark of this: none have the Christ....

      Dr. Starman
    • Sena Fernando
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24, 2000
        Thanks for your message,Dr.Starman,it does help me to clarify my
        thoughts.It is indeed interesting that while the Eastern philosphies
        are practised less and less in their countries of origin (I come from
        Sri Lanka),they have become fashionable in the West. I agree that
        Steiner's great achievement was to "integrate spiritual knowledge