Folk souls

  • rickbobbs
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
      Dear Folks;

      It's very interesting, and pertinent, to see what Stiener actually
      had to say about the 'contrary' Spirits involved at the level of Folk
      souls:

      "The etheric aura of the folk (-soul, rb) acts upon the choleric, the
      phlegmatic and the sanguine temperaments; on the whole, therefore,
      the power of the etheric aura of the folk flows into these three
      temperaments. Now these three may be mingled in many different ways
      and may co-operate differently in different human individuals. You
      may think of an endless variety of ways in which the three forces co-
      operate, when one influences the other, or conquers it, etc....."

      "The Folk-spirit acts in an exceptionally delicate and intimate
      way upon the several human souls in this interweaving into the
      temperaments; but there are yet other Beings who act upon them in a
      much stronger, more powerful manner,,,,"

      "...Now throughout the evolution of our humanity there have always
      been beings who have remained behind. Among these laggards are also
      some of these Spirits of Form or Powers, (Exusiai - rb) and they have
      remained behind in a very singular way, namely so, that although in
      respect of certain attributes they are Spirits of Form or Powers, and
      by means of certain attributes can do what at present day can only be
      done by Spirits of Form who have bestowed the `I' upon man at the
      earth stage, they cannot, however, as yet do this completely, because
      they do not possess all the necessary attributes. They have so lagged
      behind that they did not go through their Archangel stage upon the
      Sun but are going through it now during the earth period, so that
      they are beings who are now at the stage of Folk-spirits, but possess
      quite different attributes. Whereas the Folk-spirits work into human
      life in an intimate way because they are only two stages higher up
      than man and consequently are still related to him, these Powers,
      these Spirits of Form, tower four stages above the human stage. They
      possess on that account very many and mighty powers that would not be
      suitable for working so intimately into man. They would act more
      robustly, but no other domain have they for their activities than
      that in which are the normal Folk-spirits, the Archangels. That is
      the difficulty, one must first learn to discriminate in the higher
      worlds. Those who imagine that in the higher worlds they can manage
      with a few ideas, are very much mistaken. The man who, with a few
      superficial ideas, ascends into the higher worlds, would certainly
      find the Archangels. But one must discriminate whether these are
      Beings who have now normally reached the Archangel stage, or those
      who ought to have attained that stage during the Sun-state of our
      earth. There are therefore in the same domain as the Spirits of the
      Peoples or Archangels, other Beings at work who belong by rank, so to
      speak, to the Archangels, but are gifted with very different, much
      robuster attributes, such as are possessed by the other Spirits of
      Form, and who can on that account penetrate deeply into human nature.
      For what have the Spirits of Form made of man during the earth
      existence? Just think how man could not have said `I' to himself if
      the Spirits of Form had not formed the brain into that which man
      possesses at the present day. Therefore Beings such as these are able
      to work even into the physical form, although they are only at the
      stage of the Archangels. They enter upon a sort of trial of strength
      with the Folk-spirits on the very ground upon which the latter are
      active.
      "The first and chief thing brought about by this contact between
      these Spirits coming from these two directions, is speech, that which
      could not come about without the whole structure and form of the
      human body. In the structure of man you have the activity of these
      other Folk-spirits, who are connected with the powers of nature as
      well as with man. We must not therefore ascribe our speech merely to
      those Beings who work so intimately into the folk temperament, and
      who as Beings two stages above man, imprint their configuration upon
      a people. The Beings who give language heave great strength, they are
      really `Powers', they are active upon the earth because they have
      remained on earth, whilst their other companions work in the `I',
      from the sun into universal space..."
      "We must accustom ourselves to quite different ideas. Man is
      accustomed to apply his own ideas to the whole universe. He is
      naturally quite wrong to look upon the fact of these high Beings
      having remained behind in evolution like a school-girl left behind in
      her class. They do not remain behind because they have not studied,
      but for reasons pertaining to the great Wisdom which rules the world.
      If certain Beings had not renounced their normal evolution, and
      instead of going further on the Sun, continued their evolution on the
      earth, than that which we call speech could not have arisen on the
      earth...." (8 June 1910, in: The Mission of the Folk Souls, 1989,
      pp.18-21)

      "But in this domain also, those Beings who have normally become
      Spirits of Personality during our earth existence, work in
      conjunction with others, who, because of their having remained behind
      upon the Moon are now not Spirits of Form or Powers as they ought to
      be on the earth, but are also only now working as Spirits of
      Personality (Archai, rb). Thus those Beings who made their
      renunciation not upon the Sun stage but only on that of the Moon, are
      now Spirits of Personality, but they do not possess the attributes
      they ought normally to have; that is to say, they do not give
      intuitions in the same way as do the normal Spirits of Personality,
      but as do the belated Spirits of Form. They do not stimulate from
      outside, leaving to man himself to observe what is brought about in
      the physical, but they stimulate inwardly, they work within the brain
      and give a certain tendency to thought. Hence the thought of man at
      the different epochs is stimulated from within, so that each epoch
      has a distinct kind of thought. This is connected with the delicate
      formations of thought, with inner constellations. Here the belated
      Spirits of Form who have the character of Spirits of Personality,
      work within man and produce a certain kind of thought, a quite
      definite form of ideas. Hence it comes about that man is not only
      guided from epoch to epoch according to the will of the intuiting
      Spirits of Personality by whom he allows himself to be stirred to do
      this or that, but he is urged along as if by inner forces so that the
      thought manifests itself physically from within, just as in the
      spoken language there is manifested that which with, on the other
      hand, remained behind as Spirit of Form...." (Ibid. Pp.23-24)

      Take care, and give care, Rick
    • Joel
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
        Good stuff, Rick - thanks!
        I printed this out to study next to "The work of the angels in the
        astral body", seems to be related material.

      • golden3000997@cs.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
          Good Morning Everyone,

          Just uploaded Grunewald's Concert of Angels - RS = all the beings are the
          folk souls of the nations. Also - the crucifixion - with John the Baptist.

          Have a good day!
          Christine
        • AstroForum@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
            Can you tell me where this is in the steiner-files? I can't seem to find it.
            Its like I can find everything else but this. Is there a www. that I may
            type in to get this? Thank you so much.
          • lilolemissy

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
                Thank you for your help. I shall try the www. you mentioned. I am very
                interested in anything on the Crucifixion and John the Baptist including John the
                Baptist and the Grail, Mary Magdala, etc.

                Thank you very much for your time. Take care.
              • Morgan Vierheller
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
                  The copy I have has a slightly different title;
                  The Mission of the Individual Folk Souls (in connection to German-Scandinavian Mythology)
                  It is the 1989 edition.

                  Morgan

                  lilolemissy wrote:

                  Dear AstroForum, I looked on the elib site [http://www.elib.org/Steiner] (I hope this is correct) for this work, which is "The Mission of the Individual Folk Souls in Relation to Teutonic Mythology" and do not find it among those which can be downloaded, but I may have overlooked it. My version is the Second English edition, 1970, translated by A.H.Parker, 11 lectures given at Christiania (Oslo) from 7 to 17 June, 1910. I'm sorry not to be of more help. Sheila
                   Can you tell me where this is in the steiner-files?  I can't seem to find it.
                  Its like I can find everything else but this.  Is there a www. that I may
                  type in to get this?  Thank you so much.

                  Post to steiner@egroups.com

                  Search the archives of the group at:

                  Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

                • AstroForum@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
                    I entered the website suggested and it comes up Error 404 on my screen. Is
                    there another www. I can use? Thank you again for your help--I really want to
                    read this...-)
                  • Joel
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
                      http://www.elib.com/Steiner/eLib.php3#Holdings
                      I cut and pasted this from the address window on the e-lib's main
                      Steiner holdings page. From there you should be able to research all
                      that they have for what you are looking for. It is not a complete
                      collection of course, and this address above isn't to what Sheila
                      mentioned.
                      Hope it helps.

                      --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, AstroForum@a... wrote:
                      > I entered the website suggested and it comes up Error 404 on my
                      screen. Is
                      > there another www. I can use? Thank you again for your help--I
                      really want to
                      > read this...-)
                    • lilolemissy

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
                          Thank you so much - at least this got me where I am trying to go. Again,
                          thank you.