Re: cosmic nutrition

  • Joel
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      In "An Autobiography of a Yogi" Paramahansa Yogananda talks about
      visiting a nun in Europe who hadn't taken any nourishment for years
      except for the communion wafer and wine. She said God provided all
      she required. Interesting to hear that Steiner had come about it
      from another perspective.

      --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "rickbobbs" <rickbobbs@y...> wrote:
      > Dear Folks;
      >
      > One of the most provocative facts that Steiner insists upon, (for a
      > modern biologist), is that the vast majority of actual physical
      > substance is taken up through absorbtion by the various senses of
      > highly diluted matter. This assertion has always struck me as being
      > as hard to demonstrate as it is easy to mindlessly repeat.
      >
      > Imagine my surprise when, pursuing other matters, I came across
      this,
      > apparently, non-anthroposophical reference:
      >
      > "And here I cannot refrain from quoting an example of the simplest
      > diet -and the cheapest- taken from William Coles' "Art of Simpling":
      > 'Doctor Hackwill tells a story of a German Gentlewoman who lived
      for
      > fourteen years without receiving any nourishment down her throat,
      but
      > only walked frequently in a spacious Garden full of odoriferous
      > Herbes and Flowers.'"
      >
      > (Elizabeth Lucas, Vegetable Cookery, 1931, William Heinemann Ltd.,
      > pg. 301)
      >
      > Pretty terse!, and without further ado I can't say this is an
      example
      > of what Steiner was talking about (e.g. the 'down her throat'
      doesn't
      > eliminate ingestion), but I would greatly appreciate if anyone
      knows,
      > or spots, any further reference to this or similar evidence.
      >
      > Thanks for your interest, Rick
    • rickbobbs
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        Dear Joel;

        Thanks for the additional anectode.... but we'll have to collect a
        lot of them to account for the 100,000 or so people (mostly children)
        that have starved to death during our correspondence!

        On the other hand, the incredible greed of the "developed world" is
        put into quite another light by this observation of Steiner's - and
        others - ... as an ecologist I have often tried to calculate the
        number of people that could be fed, using mundane criteria, with a
        sensitive, labour-intensive and complex agricultural method. The
        number is huge. On the other hand, the greed of the materialist
        culture makes one or two seem like too many!

        Your reference to an east-Indian prompted me to post under 'Oriental
        Wisdom' a comment by Steiner I noticed while looking up Folk-souls.