Calendar of the Soul, Week 33 After Easter

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30 9:52 PM
                          The "Calendar of the Soul"

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form.

          First, the Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation SAGITTARIUS from Dec. 1st to Jan. 4th in our era. A symbolic image of the ARCHER done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.
           For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      *  M A N T R A  # 3 3  *

      So fühl ich erst die Welt,
      Die ausser meiner Seele Miterleben
      An sich nur frostig leeres Leben
      Und ohne Macht sich offenbarend,
      In Seelen sich von neuend schaffend,
      In sich den Tod nur finden könnte.

      So feel I first the World,
      That, without my Soul's Living-With it,
      As but a frozen empty Life
      And without Power is revealed,
      In Soul itself by new shaping,
      In itself Death only can find .

           In the Autumn, we gradually gain greater Self-Consciousness rather than outer consciousness. Last week, we felt how this was now strong enough to gain clear insight into the Destiny (karma) events in our lives. This week, we reach the point in the growth of self-consciousness where we first feel detached completely from the outer world we felt so much a part of all summer, and we see that, without our soul's participation in it, it would be an icy, dead wasteland --- and while we feel a strong urge to create, we must see that, if we create what is only a copy of this, it will likewise be dead.

      Sunday,  November 30th. Moon Pisces. 1756 The Physicist Chladni born.

      Monday,   December
      1st. Moon Pisces.   Longinus.

      Tuesday,   December
      2nd. Moon Aries.  Cortez d. 1547.

      Wednesday,  December 3rd.
      Moon Aries.  St. Francis Xavier.

      Thursday,  December 4th.
      Moon Taurus.   Thomas Carlyle b. 1795. Galvani d. 1798.

      Friday,  December 5th.
      Moon Taurus.    Mozart died 1791.

      Saturday,  December 6th.
      Moon Taurus.  Nikolaus (Legend: A father, on the way to Hunger and Poverty, was going to hand over his three daughters to shamefulness; Nikolaus discovered this and at night threw a bundle of gold through the man's window, enough to provide his three daughters with a dowry and for the man to live on. From this the tradition, that on this day we give gifts to children.) Max Muller the  Orientalist born 1833.

        P.S.  Brilliant reddish Mars dominates the night sky, visible directly South at sunset each evening.  Venus is now also visible in the West above the setting Sun for a short time after sunset. The Moon is near Mars Sunday and Monday nights.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

      * M A N T R A  # 8 *
      Es wächst der Sinne Macht
      Im Bunde mit der Götter Schaffen,
      Sie drückt des Denkens Kraft
      Zur Traumes Dumpfheit mir herab.
      Wenn göttlich Wesen
      Sich meiner Seele einen will,
      Muss menschlich Denken
      Im Traumessein sich still bescheiden.

      There waxes the Senses' Might
      In Union with the Gods' Shaping,
      It draws my Thinking's Power
      Down to Dream Dimness.
      When godly Essence
      With my soul would become one,
      Must Man's Thinking
      Quietly humble itself to Dream-existence .

      Interpretation:  The spiritual force of the light in the outer world of the senses,
      growing in this spring-time, is so strong that it dims down thinking, and
      this week that very dim dream state is more what we must pay heed to.