cosmic nutrition

  • rickbobbs
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
      Dear Folks;

      One of the most provocative facts that Steiner insists upon, (for a
      modern biologist), is that the vast majority of actual physical
      substance is taken up through absorbtion by the various senses of
      highly diluted matter. This assertion has always struck me as being
      as hard to demonstrate as it is easy to mindlessly repeat.

      Imagine my surprise when, pursuing other matters, I came across this,
      apparently, non-anthroposophical reference:

      "And here I cannot refrain from quoting an example of the simplest
      diet -and the cheapest- taken from William Coles' "Art of Simpling":
      'Doctor Hackwill tells a story of a German Gentlewoman who lived for
      fourteen years without receiving any nourishment down her throat, but
      only walked frequently in a spacious Garden full of odoriferous
      Herbes and Flowers.'"

      (Elizabeth Lucas, Vegetable Cookery, 1931, William Heinemann Ltd.,
      pg. 301)

      Pretty terse!, and without further ado I can't say this is an example
      of what Steiner was talking about (e.g. the 'down her throat' doesn't
      eliminate ingestion), but I would greatly appreciate if anyone knows,
      or spots, any further reference to this or similar evidence.

      Thanks for your interest, Rick
    • Joel
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        In "An Autobiography of a Yogi" Paramahansa Yogananda talks about
        visiting a nun in Europe who hadn't taken any nourishment for years
        except for the communion wafer and wine. She said God provided all
        she required. Interesting to hear that Steiner had come about it
        from another perspective.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
          Dear Joel;

          Thanks for the additional anectode.... but we'll have to collect a
          lot of them to account for the 100,000 or so people (mostly children)
          that have starved to death during our correspondence!

          On the other hand, the incredible greed of the "developed world" is
          put into quite another light by this observation of Steiner's - and
          others - ... as an ecologist I have often tried to calculate the
          number of people that could be fed, using mundane criteria, with a
          sensitive, labour-intensive and complex agricultural method. The
          number is huge. On the other hand, the greed of the materialist
          culture makes one or two seem like too many!

          Your reference to an east-Indian prompted me to post under 'Oriental
          Wisdom' a comment by Steiner I noticed while looking up Folk-souls.