    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2003

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day, a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form.  First is this week's mantra.
           For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      *  M A N T R A  # 3 2  *

      Ich fühle fruchtend eigne Kraft
      Sich stärkend mich der Welt verleihn;
      Mein Eigenwesen fühl ich kraftend
      Zur Klarheit sich zu wenden
      Im Lebensschicksalsweben.

      I feel my Power bearing fruit
      Strengthening me, the World to be lent to;
      My Ego-Essence I feel forcefully
      To Clarity wending its way
      In Life-Destiny-Weaving.

      This week's mantra:
      Autumn is the time in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt how the spiritual light of thinking sought to turn to the outer world, turning into will-forces for living and illuminating sense-existence, and thus started to turn the blind urges of the soul into creatively-shaping forces. This week's verse describes how these will-forces are now strong enough to flow out into the outer world, so that we gain clear insight into the Destiny (karma) events in our lives.

                                  **********************************
          The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation SCORPIO from Nov. 10th to 30th in our era. A symbolic image of the SKORPION done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday,  November 23rd. Moon Sagittarius. New Moon. Clemens (the companion of Paul).

      Monday,   November
      24th. Moon Sagittarius.  1632 Spinoza born.

      Tuesday,   November
      25th. Moon Capricorn. 1814 the Physicist J. R. Mayer born.

      Wednesday,  November 26th.
      Moon Capricorn. Alexander.

      Thursday,  November 27th.
      Moon Aquarius.  1701 Celsius born.

      Friday,  November 28th.
      Moon Aquarius. Feast day of Noah.

      Saturday,  November 29th.
      Moon Pisces. 1800 the Decimal measurement system introduced in France.

        P.S.  Brilliant reddish Mars dominates the night sky, visible directly South at sunset each evening.  Venus is now also visible in the West above the setting Sun for a short time after sunset; the first crescent of the New Moon will be seen near it at sunset Tuesday. The Moon will then be seen further East each evening until it is near Mars Saturday night.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

      *    M A N T R A  #7 *
      Mein selbst, es drohet zu entfliehen,
      Vom Weltenlichte mächtig angezogen.
      Nun trete du mein Ahnen
      In deine Rechte kraftig ein
      Ersetze mir des Denkens Macht
      Das in der Sinne Schein
      Sich selbst verlieren will.

      My Self, it threatens to fly out
      To World-Light mightily drawn.
      Now enter you, my foreboding,
      Into your rightful place forcefully,
      Restore for me Thinking's Might
      That in the Senses' Shine
      Would lose itself.

      The weaving of the Sun in the growth of the plants reveals the Divine
      working. The past few weeks we can feel that spiritual essence working as
      being like our souls spread out in external space. But now the spiritual
      force of the light is so strong that we would dissolve into it--- so a
      feeling of what is to come in the future grows in us to keep us from being
      only in this present moment, preventing thinking from losing itself totally
      in the senses.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2005
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2005
          The Calendar of the Soul

            Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to
          enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in
          Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra on Easter Sunday.

            These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but
          the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with
          each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, a
          listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the
          'lunar' forces, and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures
          and dates of events
          to contemplate on specific days. Here's the "Soul-Calendar"
          restored to this complete form.

            The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation
          LIBRA from October 13th to November 9th in our era. Here's the symbolic image of the SCALES from the original Soul-Calendar, done from sketches and indications of Steiner's, colored with the corresponding color:

          This week's mantra.
            For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses
          symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight, and
          mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of
          a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather the reciting of it and entering
          with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience is what is essential Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

          * M A N T R A # 3 2 *

          Ich fühle fruchtend eigne Kraft
          Sich stärkend mich der Welt verleihn;
          Mein Eigenwesen fühl ich kraftend
          Zur Klarheit sich zu wenden
          Im Lebensschicksalsweben.

          I feel my Power bearing fruit
          Strengthening me, the World to lend;
          My Ego-Essence I feel forcefully
          Wending its way to Clarity
          In Life-Destiny-Weaving.

          This week's mantram:
          The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to
          develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer.
          Last week, we felt how the spiritual light of thinking sought to turn to the outer world, turning into will-forces for living and illuminating sense-existence, and thus started to turn the blind urges of the soul into creatively-shaping forces. This week's verse describes how these will-forces are now strong enough for the outer world to connect with us (it is 'lent' to us), so that we gain clear insight into the Destiny (karma) events in our lives.

            The Moon positions and phases for the week are listed below along with some of the spiritual figures and events connected with the days.

          Sunday, October 30th. Moon Libra.  Claudius.

          Monday, October 31st. Moon Scorpio. Wolfgang.

          Tuesday, November 1st. Moon Scorpio. New Moon. Catholic Festival of All Hallows (became since the seventh century celebrated, as an imitation of the worship that was used in the Pantheon in Rome for all the heathen Gods. The Pantheon was given to Pope Boniface IV by Caesar Photius and consecrated to all the Holies.)

          Wednesday, November 2nd. Moon Sagittarius. Festival of All Souls (since 1020 as a Catholic Festival established).

          Thursday, November 3rd. Moon Sagittarius.  Malachi (the Prophet).

          Friday, November 4th. Moon Capricorn. 1493 Columbus landed in Guadaloupe.

          Saturday, November 5th. Moon Capricorn. 1494 Hans Sachs born

          *******THE PLANETS: Venus the "evening star" can be seen in the West for a short time after sunset, just above the setting sun. Brilliant yellowish-red Mars, now in its closest approach to earth, rises in the East at sunset, near Taurus and the Pleiades. Saturn rises in the East about midnight, close to the bright 'twin' stars Castor and Pollux, the Twins of Gemini.

          P.S. I found out while researching here at the Goetheanum that Steiner definitely intended the Soul-Calendar list of peoples' birth and death-days to be added to by we users, as I'd thought. So from now on, I'm going to add more recent people to it, and members of the list should feel free to do the same.