Re: [steiner] Holy Nights Study Group

  • Duncan J. Fernando
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2000
      Thanks for your message, Nick. The poll will close on the 7th
      and the results will be automatically emailed to members. It
      does seem that the majority are voting for the Gospel of St.John (1908).
      Would you be able to do Chapter 4 on the 27th?
      Sena

      Create a free homepage at http://www.esotericlinks.com/userpages/index.shtml

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2000
        At 3:03 AM +0000 12/04/00, Nick Mandoki wrote:
        >The names and email addresses of all who wish to participate could be
        >arranged in a certain order. The first person on the list could send
        >a special greeting to the second on the list. This person could then
        >include their own greeting to the next person on the list and mail
        >the whole thing on to them. This would continue until the message
        >finally came back to the first person on the list. The whole thing
        >could then be posted on e-groups as a permanent record, and so that
        >everybody would get a chance to read all of the greetings.

        Hello Nick and All,

        I like this idea very much!

        I suppose I should back up a bit and introduce myself. I live in
        Tennessee and have been a student of Anthroposophy for 11 years. I
        joined <steiner> list expressly for the Holy Nights study. Upon
        perusal of my copy of the St. John's lectures, I read a note in the
        margin of the book that pinpointed my last study of those lectures
        at exactly 10 years ago-January of 1991.

        For one reason or another, I don't study with local groups any
        longer, although there are 2 very active groups in this area. I
        journey to Chattanooga for First Class with Maria St. Goar on
        occasion. I am a graphic artist by trade. My 3 kids are almost grown
        (18, 20, and 23) and I'm in the throes of a critical case of empty
        nest syndrome. I'm contemplating several initiatives including a
        puppet theater or a women's group, but have made no decisions.

        My attraction to this study was the intentionality of giving back
        something to the spiritual worlds. I regularly read to the dead and I
        believe this study will be a great blessing to those across the
        threshold.

        I must say, I'm more than a little intimidated by plummeting through
        the material at the pace of one chapter a night. This is not at all
        my style. I'd much rather read a chapter every other night and give
        the intervening night to reflect the previous night's work. However,
        I'm up to the challenge since this pace seems to be ok with most of
        you. I will by all means take a chapter to review for the group. I
        believe we are up to assigning chapters 4 and 5? Either will be fine.

        This seems to be a strangely small group--very interesting and feels
        very karmic. With that noted, I especially liked Nick's idea of
        circulating a post around the group as a beginning. I imagine that we
        had better have a process for signing up to receive the post and send
        it on so it won't get stuck with someone who is out of town or checks
        e-mail infrequently. For example, I am going to be out of town this
        next weekend and some of next week. I would not be able to even read
        mail during that time. Otherwise, I'd like to participate.

        Blessings,

        Sarah
      • Duncan J. Fernando
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2000
          Hi Sarah,
          Thanks for introducing yourself. I agree that we won't be able to
          completely digest the book over 12 days, but perhaps we can start
          reading it before the event, and continue afterwards. This seemed to be
          a good way of bringing together a group of people scattered across
          thousands of miles.
          I've put you down for Chapter 4 on the 27th.
          Best regards,