Intuition and Astrology

  • Pierre Gringiore
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2003

      It might be useful to say more about intuition in connection with astrology: perhaps this might facilitate a wider discussion.

      One of the problems with intuition is that it is fundamentally different to logic. With logic, everything is clear-cut and differentiated. We (most people) have been thoroughly trained as logicians. Many people find intuition to be too fluid and vague for their liking.

      With intuition, one image may overlap with another. It was for this reason that symbolism was employed in connection with the transmission of intuitive knowledge. In considering a symbolic image, many different thoughts can arise, each of which expresses some part of the total content of the whole image. Parables, fables and poetry have also been employed to convey multiple images at the same time -- a parable, for example, has many meanings, each of which conveys but one aspect of its wider content.

      Many of the lectures given by Dr. Steiner also follow the same method. It is interesting to observe the way Dr Steiner delivers a lecture and then breaks off, as it were, halfway to begin again from a completely different perspective. This means he is describing something that can only be approached intuitively.

      This is why it is useful, in attempting to develop an understanding of the zodiac, to be able to draw on different sources, different perspectives, and different forms of expression of the same image. This is why input from the different contributors on this list has been useful. Having inaugurated the discussion, I do find it frustrating that I feel unable at present to contribute thoughts of my own.

      P.S. I would also like to point out the Pierre Gringoire is a pseudonym. Pierre Gringoire is the hapless playwright from Victor Hugo's 'Notre Dame'.  When I first decided to use it I thought this would be obvious to all concerned, but now I'm not so sure. The reason for using a pseudonym is that this list is viewable by the general public, and astrology touches on subjects I would not normally discuss publicly.

    • lilolemissy
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2003
        Dear Pierre,

        Exactly! :) I've never understood Hugo's unpopularity, even from Steiner, but I'm no literary critic or spiritual expert by any means, and Steiner would have had in mind deeply spiritual matters in regard to Hugo. I must have read "Notre Dame" as well as "Les Miserables" [sp? ACK!] in my early teens, and even now the humanity of Jean ValJean shows quite a lot of good qualities one could well benefit from.

        You make a good point in that this list is viewable by the general public, et al, and perhaps because I'm essentially vacuum brained in astrology I remain "visible", but it seems high time TRUE astrology was once again placed into its once important and valued role. Dr. Starman is expert in this field, as Willi Sucre was, so let us hope more such as you and Joel delve deeply into it!

        Cheers!

        Sheila
        P.S. I would also like to point out the Pierre Gringoire is a pseudonym. Pierre Gringoire is the hapless playwright from Victor Hugo's 'Notre Dame'.  When I first decided to use it I thought this would be obvious to all concerned, but now I'm not so sure. The reason for using a pseudonym is that this list is viewable by the general public, and astrology touches on subjects I would not normally discuss publicly.
      • Joel
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2003
          Um, as for myself, I'm still dabbling my feet in the kiddie pool.

          :)

          I'm light years from diving deeply into anything Anthroposophical
          without a life preserver.

          --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "lilolemissy" <lilolemissy@s...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2003
            :)))) Joel, all of us had to start in the kiddie pool, and as for myself, I'm still in the kiddie pool regarding far too much! ACK!

            Sheila

            wrote:
            > Dear Pierre,
            >
            > Exactly! :) I've never understood Hugo's unpopularity, even from
            Steiner, but I'm no literary critic or spiritual expert by any means,
            and Steiner would have had in mind deeply spiritual matters in regard
            to Hugo. I must have read "Notre Dame" as well as "Les Miserables"
            [sp? ACK!] in my early teens, and even now the humanity of Jean
            ValJean shows quite a lot of good qualities one could well benefit
            from.

            > You make a good point in that this list is viewable by the general
            public, et al, and perhaps because I'm essentially vacuum brained in
            astrology I remain "visible", but it seems high time TRUE astrology
            was once again placed into its once important and valued role. Dr.
            Starman is expert in this field, as Willi Sucre was, so let us hope
            more such as you and Joel delve deeply into it!

            > Cheers!
            >
            > Sheila
            >   P.S. I would also like to point out the Pierre Gringoire is a
            pseudonym. Pierre Gringoire is the hapless playwright from Victor
            Hugo's 'Notre Dame'.  When I first decided to use it I thought this
            would be obvious to all concerned, but now I'm not so sure. The
            reason for using a pseudonym is that this list is viewable by the
            general public, and astrology touches on subjects I would not
            normally discuss publicly.

            Post to steiner@egroups.com

            Search the archives of the group at:

            Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 20, 2003

              ******Intuition is indeed something that starts with image-like vision. It then proceeds to higher stages until it is like beings speaking in and through you of their nature. Start with Imaginations, visualization exercises like the Rose-Cross.  This is "Geist-Erschaen", Spirit-Envisioning in thinking, as it's called in the Foundation Stone.

              ****** I'd forgotten the name. But that's a terrible role model! He, along with the knight Esmerelda so foolishly loved, was one of the morally bankrupt ones, who lived on ---- while all the good people died.  Better to name oneself Quasimodo!!! That way you might be ugly in some ways but good at heart. Gringoire was not evil, but so weak he could do nothing for the one he loved, in fact she had to save him. I doubt you're as weak as he.