Calendar of the Soul, Week 29

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These are well known to students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day--- a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces--- and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days.
         Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form. First, this week's mantra:

      *  M A N T R A  # 2 9  *

      Sich selbst des Denkens leuchten
      Im Innern kraftvoll zu entfachen,
      Erlebtes sinnvoll deutend
      Aus Weltengeistes Kräftequell,
      Ist mir nun Sommererbe
      Ist Herbstesruhe und auch Winterhoffnung.

      The Glowing Light of Thinking
      Within oneself powerfully to enkindle,
      Life's meaningfulness interpreting
      Out of the World-Spirit's Power-Source,
      Is to me Summer's inheritance,
      Is Fall's Rest and also Winter's Hope.

      This week's mantra:
          Autumn is the time in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt this growing self-consciousness cause our being to widen: thinking found itself able to solve seemingly-insoluable mysteries of life, and in our feelings, many wishes we had given up on now we see it possible to realize. This week, we should feel this growing power of Thinking as the gift of our Summer experience, making sense out of all that seemed senseless in life; giving us a feeling of a restful pause and an expectation of good in the coming Winter.

                                  **********************************
          The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LIBRA from Oct. 13th to Nov. 9th in our era. A symbolic image of the SCALES done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday,  November 2nd. Moon Pisces.  Festival of All Souls (since 1020 as a Catholic Festival established).

      Monday,   November
      3rd. Moon Pisces.  Malachi (the Prophet).

      Tuesday,   November
      4th. Moon Pisces. 1493 Columbus landed in Guadaloupe.

      Wednesday,  November 5th. Moon Aries. 1494 Hans Sachs born.

      Thursday,   November 6th. Moon Aries. 1771 Senefelder, the inventor of Lithography, born.

      Friday,    November 7th. Moon Taurus. 1775 Goethe entered into Weimar.

      Saturday,  November 8th. Moon Taurus. Full Moon. 1674 Milton died.

        P.S.  Brilliant yellowish Mars, still bright in its retrograde 'loop', dominates the night sky, visible in the South after sunset each evening.  The Moon will be seen close to it Sunday and Monday nights.
          There will also be an eclipse of the Moon Sat. Nov. 8th.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

      * M A N T R A # 4 *
      Ich fühle Wesen meines Wesens:
      So spricht Empfindung,
      Die in der sonnerhellten Welt
      Mit Lichtesfluten sich vereint;
      Sie will dem Denken
      Zur Klarheit Wärme schenken
      Und Mensch und Welt
      In Einheit fest verbinden.

      "I feel the essence of my essence":
      So speaks Sensation,
      That in the sun-illumined World
      With flooding light becomes one;
      It will join warmth
      To Thinking's Clarity,
      And Man and World
      In oneness bind fast together.

      Our thinking is drawn out by our senses, to find our connection to the
      cosmos. The returning light makes us feel our essence is similar to it, and
      as we join our thinking to the senses, we re-unite it with the world.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 24, 2004
              The "Calendar of the Soul"

          Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra on Easter Sunday.
           These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days.
           Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete 'astrosophical' form.

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LIBRA from Oct. 13th to Nov. 9th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the SCALES in the original Soul-Calendar, done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

        This week's mantra.

        *  M A N T R A  # 2 9  *

        Sich selbst des Denkens leuchten
        Im Innern kraftvoll zu entfachen,
        Erlebtes sinnvoll deutend
        Aus Weltengeistes Kräftequell,
        Ist mir nun Sommererbe
        Ist Herbstesruhe und auch Winterhoffnung.

        Oneself, the Glowing Light of Thinking
        Within powerfully to enkindle,
        Life's meaningfulness interpreting
        Out of the World-Spirit's Power-Source,
        Is to me Summer's inheritance,
        Is Fall's Rest and also Winter's Hope.

        This week's mantra:
            The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer.
            Last week, we felt this growing self-consciousness cause our being to widen: thinking found itself able to solve seemingly-insoluable mysteries of life, and in our feelings, many wishes we had given up on now we see it possible to realize.
           This week, we should feel this growing power of Thinking as the gift of our Summer experience, making sense out of all that seemed senseless in life; giving us a feeling of a restful pause and an expectation of good in the coming Winter.

                                                    **********************************

        Sunday, October  24th.  Moon Pisces. Raphael (the Archangel).

        Monday, October 25th. Moon Aries.  1806 Max Stirner born.

        Tuesday, October 26th. Moon Aries.   Thaddeus (found in Matthew's Gospel).

        Wednesday, October 27th. Moon Taurus. Full Moon. Sabina.

        Thursday, October 28th. Moon Taurus. Simeon and Judas (relatives of Jesus). 1704 John Locke died. 1466 Erasmus of Rotterdam born.

        Friday, October 29th. Moon Gemini. Narcissus.

        Saturday, October 30th. Moon Gemini.
          Claudius.

           There is also an eclipse of the Moon Thurday night.
        Dr. Starman

        www.DrStarman.net
      • Jp
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2004

          Dear Friends,

          As you may have heard, tonight brings a total eclipse of the Moon -- visible in large part or in entirety from all of the Americas , and most of Europe and Africa .  The entire event, from penumbra to penumbra, runs from 0:00 to 6:00 Universal Time, or 8pm - 2am Eastern Daylight Time.  The partial eclipse is expected to begin about 9:14 EST, and totality begins at 10:23 and lasts til 11:45.*  (See http://skyandtelescope.com for details and a world map of visibility.)

          Tonight -- or tomorrow morning, it might be possible to catch the tail end of another act of the celestial drama -- the Orionid meteor shower.

          If you are lucky (and alert) enough to see any meteors, it could be interesting to see whether you can trace their center of origin back toward a point in or near the constellation they are named for -- Orion the Hunter.

          If you've read my previous notes, you'll recall that Orion is one of three centers of a larger drama -- together with bright Venus and, between them, the remarkable celestial arc formed by Saturn passing between the Dog Stars and the Twins.**  On Long Island, it looks like clearer morning skies may be returning.  The whole drama was visible this morning, including six of the seven classical planets (Moon, Saturn, Venus, Jupiter, Mars, followed by the Sun -- who's missing?)

          The sight of Moon, Saturn, Venus, Jupiter, and Mars together should be increasingly visible over the coming two weeks.  Their movements make a wonderful dance for those who follow them from morning to morning and from and week to week.  This is highlighted by a wonderful series of series of conjunctions among them, as well as the bright star Regulus (the Heart of the Lion) and the stars of the arc, Nov. 3rd-6th and 9th-11th.  A good time to look would be about 6:30am -- an hour earlier by the altered clock after Daylight Savings ends at 2am on Halloween.  Among other elements, it's a chance to compare their colors, and their speeds:  how long does it take each planet to move from one constellation to the next?  At the start of this period, the waning Moon crosses the arc, beginning to echo the arc's curve with its own shape.  (Is there a similar echoing during the eclipse tonight)?  Other highlights include the close approach of Venus and Jupiter on the mornings of Nov. 4th and 5th, and the Moon and Jupiter on November 9th.  The morning of Dec. 7th brings two conjunctions - Mars / Venus and Jupiter/Moon -- a double date.  And all along, toward Winter solstice and the Holy Nights, Saturn will be moving closer to the arc's true heart, and the curve should begin to sing.

          * Tonight, if you have a clear eastern horizon, you should be able to watch our stellar arc rise during the eclipse, beginning about the time that totality commences.  Can you see each of the five points appear above the horizon, one at a time?  How much of it will have risen by the end of totality?  Are the Golden Ratios between Saturn and the Twins and Dog Stars more evident as the arc rises, or when it's overhead toward dawn?   As the Moon emerges from the earth's shadow (beginning at 11:45pm), how closely will it's form resemble that of the rising stellar arc?  Will the arc have entirely risen by the time the Moon is fully out of shadow -- clear of the earth's penumbra?

          ** I would be happy to provide anyone with an updated full description of the arc and accompanying events, including clarifications, additions, and corrections (some directions and times were incorrect in previous versions).

          I would be most interested to hear any observations or impressions of these events from anyone who wishes to share them.  I will try to respond soon.

          Have a beautiful day, a momentous night, and a harmonious, uplifting morning.

                      Joe Proskauer

[...]

          Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

          ommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

        • LilOleMissy@SBCglobal.net