That's what Love's all about...

  • Sarah Ford Elliott (Unison)
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2003
      I have been getting ahead of myself this year and writing my Christmas
      thoughts in October! When I read some of the recent posts on the group, I
      thought my musings might be a useful contribution. I have written this to
      send to my family and friends so it does not contain a lot of "heavy"
      Anthroposophical terminology, but I am sure you will all recognise the
      greater implications of some of the points.

      People having been talking of loving and hating, of eroticism and Eros
      (spiritual love). What place does hatred and negativity have when there is
      far more important work to be done in the World? Here is my (rather long)
      two-penn'orth!

      In the beautiful Fairy Tale "The Crystal Sphere" in order to restore the
      Princess of the Castle of the Golden Sun to her true beauty the Prince has
      to obtain a crystal sphere. The sphere is to be found inside an egg which is
      inside a firebird which is inside a bull.

      The Prince¹s first task is to defeat the bull. The bull is surely an image
      of those materialistic forces which would seek to keep us fettered to the
      Earth. The crystal sphere is a hardened lump inside him. The beauty of his
      spirituality is so tightly locked away inside him that the only
      consciousness of it that he has is a vague, undefined longing. He tries to
      fill this emptiness with an increasingly rapacious and destructive
      consumption of the world. To work in the world in slavery, without the
      inspiration that the colours of the crystal sphere cannot bring him because
      it is deprived of the light.

      Once the bull is defeated by the courage and determination (will forces) of
      the Prince, a fiery bird arises up out of it. The bird shoots heavenwards
      taking the crystal sphere far up beyond his reach. The fiery luciferic
      forces seek to draw us away from the Earth into the lofty heights of a
      spirituality that has no place in everyday life. Whether this be through
      fantasy, escapism, over-reaching pride, over lofty idealism, or the sort of
      ascetic spiritual practices that seek to draw us away from the world: the
      areas in which Lucifer can work in us are not always overtly Œevil¹. Lucifer
      is the Superstar: he is that in us which seeks to idolise a pop singer
      simply because she is married to a man who is good at kicking a ball into a
      net. He is the hot air that will make the balloon of our soul drift of into
      the stratosphere if we are not carrying enough ballast!

      In the tale the Firebird is defeated by the Prince¹s brother who has been
      turned into an eagle. The eagle, known for its clear sight has ever been a
      symbol of human thinking. The unreality of luciferic forces is overcome by
      the clear logic of controlled, conscious thought. Whilst we should not be
      bound to the Earth we still need to be grounded. It is interesting how
      language reflects this: our thoughts can be "muddied" or we can have our
      "head in the clouds".

      The Eagle forces the Firebird to release her egg, which falls onto a
      fisherman¹s hut and bursts into flame. Whenever I tell this story to
      children they always want to know what happened to the fisherman! Our
      spirituality comes from the heights of Heaven to the Earth, into a physical
      body (the hut), but can be so quickly burnt up by the ravaging of the
      untamed human senses and desires. We come to Earth precisely to experience
      life in this world of sense impressions, but it is what we do with them that
      makes the difference. We need to transform eroticism back into Eros through
      our purified love for and pleasure for the world around us.

      The fire is extinguished in the tale by the Prince¹s other brother who is in
      the form of a whale. The whale is spoken of as shooting a fount of water out
      of his head. This image always reminds me of one of my favourite meditations
      by Steiner:

      In my head I feel warm fount of love,
      In my heart I feeling raying light of thought,
      Now the warm light of though
      Joins with the raying light of thought
      So to make strong my hands
      For the good work of man
      I feel me.

      Here the normal idea that we think with our heads and love with our hearts
      is reversed. If we can bring the warmth of love into our thoughts and the
      clarity of thought into our love then we can experience the world in its
      true light and beauty.

      The water cracks open the egg and the crystal sphere is revealed. The Prince
      takes it to the castle of the Golden Sun where the enchanter no longer has
      power over him. He restores the Princess and his brothers to their true
      forms and inherits the Kingdom of the Golden Sun. United now with his Queen
      (the higher self) he rules as King.

      What do we see in the image of the crystal sphere? A hard, precise, ordered
      material, not in its natural state but shaped into a perfect sphere by the
      working of cosmic forces. A substance formed in the depths of the Earth, but
      when brought to light capable of inspiring and delighting us with a symphony
      of ever changing colours. A symbol surely of our human consciousness. When
      it is brought into the heart of the Castle of the Golden Sun it enables the
      "Son of God" to become an "Inheritor of the Earth".

      Fairy tales and other stories often speak of defeating dragons and monsters
      in a universal battle between good and evil. However, in 12th Century Wales
      the concept of "traha" (over-reaching pride) and "trais" (oppression) speaks
      rather of a precarious balance to be maintained between two types of "evil".
      When I thought about this, and what word we might put to stand between
      "pride" and "oppression", I came up with "dignity", which comes from the
      Latin "dignus: worthy". Through our clarity of thought we may transform
      unreality and pride into the sword of truth, we can recognise our excellence
      and feel that we are worthy to work in the World to bring about change.
      Through the warmth of our love we can transform the oppression of the
      material world into a lovingly accepted responsibility to bring about
      liberation.

      It is through understanding things clearly as they really are and through
      loving the world unconditionally that we can contribute to its evolution. In
      fact, the two are inseparable, it is impossible to love something or someone
      unconditionally without understanding them completely. Understanding is not
      a remote-controlled activity.

      Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus, which enabled Christ (Logos,
      Creative Principal) to leave his lofty spiritual realm and come down
      actually to live on Earth and experience physicality. The Christmas message
      therefore is one of the loving impetus consciously to unify yourself with
      that which you wish to change.

      Yours, in Christ,
      Sarah FE
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2003
        sarahfe@... writes:
        I have been getting ahead of myself this year and writing my Christmas
        thoughts in October!

        ******By the way, I'll just mention for the benefit of newcomers here that we traditionally take a book and read it together over the 12 Holy Nights of Christmas, and they're only 7 weeks away. Perhaps people could start thinking about what we'd like to do together.
            As for our study of astrology in this Autumn/Michaelmas time, I promise to get to answering the questions that have been asked before we get into Christmas.
            And for all those who know about working with those on the other side, hope you're doing something for All Souls's Day as we are here (see below).
        - Starman
      • Derek
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2003
          --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Ford Elliott (Unison)"
          <sarahfe@u...> wrote:
          In the midst of a beautiful story, this meditation of Rudolf Steiner:
          > In my head I feel warm fount of love,
          > In my heart I feeling raying light of thought,
          > Now the warm light of though
          > Joins with the raying light of thought
          > So to make strong my hands
          > For the good work of man
          > I feel me.
          There is a misprint in the third line, but is the final
          word "thought" -or "love"?
        • Richard Distasi
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2003
            I would think that the last word of the third line would be 'love'.

            rick distasi
            In the midst of a beautiful story, this meditation of Rudolf Steiner:
            > In my head I feel warm fount of love,
            > In my heart I feeling raying light of thought,
            > Now the warm light of though
            > Joins with the raying light of thought
            > So to make strong my hands
            > For the good work of man
            > I feel me.
            There is a misprint in the third line, but is the final
            word "thought" -or "love"?

            Post to steiner@egroups.com

            Search the archives of the group at:

            Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

          • Richard Distasi
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 30, 2003
              Sarah, thanks for this I enjoyed reading it.

              rick distasi
[...]

            • Sarah Ford Elliott
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
                Sorry, it shoould be "warm fount of love". I'll correct it: