The 12 Holy Nights

  • finni golden
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
      I've just read my own error on my last message...it should read
      Sergei Prokofieff's book "The Twelve Holy Nights & The Spiritual
      Hierarchies", the other book - The Festivals & Their Meaning is
      entirely a collection of Rudolf Steiner's lectures and addresses
      concerning the five Christian Festivals.
      The reason why I've suggested Prokofieff's book is that he not only
      draws upon his incredibly extensive knowledge of Steiner's sources,
      but the entire book becomes a meditation upon each of the Holy Nights
      as we proceed through them, linking Man's consciousness to each of
      the hierarchies, culminating on the 13th Night in the principle of
      Man as symphony of the creative word.
      Just a thought concerning time, resulting from where we are placed on
      the Earth physically; whenever we meditate or pray, all our spiritual
      work 'meets up' as it were through the agency of our individual
      angels - outside mathematical, that is, spacial time, so perhaps we
      should not worry about any 'time' difference of sundown. (However,
      it is different concerning the two hemispheres where the seasons are
      reversed, as they manifest on Earth.)

      Finni
    • Morgan Vierheller
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
        Finni,

        Do you have the ISBN# for the book you mentioned?
        I would like to have a copy whether we use it or not.
        Perhaps there are some verses in it we could use?

        Morgan
      • finni golden
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
          Hello Morgan,
          The book is in Dorset at the moment, but I will get another copy
          tomorrow from Steiner House and post the ISBN # here when I get
          back. Yes, I am sure there are some relevant verses we can use. I'm
          so looking forward to this.
          finni.

        • starmann77@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
            Here's a Chrisrtmas verse we could use (the English translation is by George
            Adams, but I have the original German also, and it's actually a little bit
            different):

            Deep in the ground of the human soul,
            Of victory asssured,
            The Spirit-Sun is living.
            All through the winter of the inner life
            The faithful heart divines it.
            Now the heart's spring of hope beholds
            The Sun, His coming glory
            In Christmas' light of blessing---
            Token of highest life
            In winter's deepest night.

            There's also this verse Steiner gave for group meetings:

            From the luminous heights of the Spirit
            may God's clear light ray forth
            Into those human souls
            Who are intent on seeking
            The grace of the Spirit,
            the light of the Spirit.
            The life of the Spirit.
            May He live
            In the hearts,
            In the inmost souls
            Of those of us
            Who feel ourselves gathered together here
            In His Name.

            Dr. Starman
          • Morgan Vierheller
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2000
              Finni,

              I'm afraid I let excitement get the better of me; I went to the Anthro
              press site and ordered it online. They're giving a discount for the
              holidays:)

              Looking forward to reading it.

              Morgan
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 19, 2001
                No one has been posting anything on this list, nor specifically about
                taking a book for the 12 Holy Nights together. A few people on the
                anthroposophy list have expressed interest in taking up The Philosophy of
                Freedom. What do you all think about that? It's in 14 sections.
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 19, 2001
                  Christmas Eve is Monday night and that's when we're supposed to start a
                  study. Who wants to participate? Any perferences with what?
                • elf
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 20, 2001

                      DRStarman2001@... wrote:

                    Christmas Eve is Monday night and that's when we're supposed to start a
                    study. Who wants to participate? Any perferences with what?

                    I want to.. I want to.. I will beed very quietly though coz i don't knowed a lot of this.  I will just peeped fron behind the trees mmmm.Yes.  and study the notes by my little fire.  Elf rubbed her hands very pleased,  Then I will beed very good on Zen and gettin a learn on thinkin with ma bones.  Very nice

                    Post to steiner@egroups.com

                    Search the archives of the group at:

                    Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

                    Do You Yahoo!?
                    Check out Yahoo! Shopping and Yahoo! Auctions for all of your holiday gifts!

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 7, 2002

                      *  M A N T R A  # 3 7 (WINTER)  *
                      Zu tragen Geisteslicht in Weltenwinternacht
                      Erstrebet selig meines Herzens Trieb
                      Dass leuchtend Seelenkeime
                      In Weltengrunden wurzeln
                      Und Gotteswort im Sinnesdunkel
                      Verklarend alles Sein durchtont.

                      "To carry Spirit-Light in World-Winter-Night,
                      Strives joyfully my Heart's Drive
                      That light-filled Soul-Seeds
                      In World-Ground take root
                      And God's Word in Senses' Darkness
                      Makes clear all Being it resounds through."

                      *******A good Winter meditation. Well, tonight we finish the first week of Advent, in which we try to turn our hearts to the One who came to rectify all Earth-Evolution.  (One way to use Advent to connect with the Christ is the old method of an "advent table", where the Christmas Nativity scene of a manger, Joseph and Mary and all is gradually built up over the four weeks; the first week, you put on crystals, in memory of the mineral kingdom's creation; the second week, things from the plant kingdom, the third week animal products (and images of the Ox and Ass), and then in the final week the human figures. This is a way of re-experiencing how the world came into existence in four stages, and its whole purpose for doing so was for the life, death and resurrection of the Christ, which alone the makes human life on earth something able to rise up to its higher purposes.)
                         That makes three weeks before Christmas, and as most of you may know it's an anthroposophical tradition to take some book and study it together over the 12 Holy Nights, which Rudolf Steiner pointed to as a time when the spiritual world is close to our human world. Such things are never more needed than during times of war and the nearness of wars, as our time is. We've done a study together here on the Internet the past two Christmases, and talked about doing another, but haven't chosen a book yet, much less talked about how to do it. How about hearing from some people who would like to participate, including ideas of what to study?