Why Steiner?

  • Sena Fernando
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2000
      For someone who wants to seek self-realization,spiritual
      growth,enlightenment,salvation,or the meaning of life there are many
      paths available.These are just a few:
      (1)Buddhism - Zen,Theravada,Mahayana,Tibetan,Cha'n etc.
      (2)Meditation - Transcendental.
      (3)Transpersonal psychology.
      (4)The Qabalah.
      (5)Yoga - Siddhi,Raja,Kundalini.
      (6)Christian mysticism.
      (7)Non-duality.
      (8)The Fourth Way.
      (9)Taoism.
      So,why Steiner?
      I have my own ideas about this which I shall write about
      presently,but I would be interested to know what other members think.
      Sena
      http://esotericlinks.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24, 2000
        In a message dated 5/24/00 3:24:41 AM, steiner@egroups.com writes:

        > Why Steiner?
        >
        >For someone who wants to seek self-realization,spiritual
        >growth,enlightenment,salvation,or the meaning of life there are many
        >paths available.These are just a few:
        > (1)Buddhism - Zen,Theravada,Mahayana,Tibetan,Cha'n etc.
        > (2)Meditation - Transcendental.
        > (3)Transpersonal psychology.
        > (4)The Qabalah.
        > (5)Yoga - Siddhi,Raja,Kundalini.
        > (6)Christian mysticism.
        > (7)Non-duality.
        > (8)The Fourth Way.
        > (9)Taoism.
        >So,why Steiner?
        > I have my own ideas about this which I shall write about
        >presently,but I would be interested to know what other members think.
        > Sena

        *******Even the way the question is asked shows that Eastern religions are
        what anthroposophy calls 'Luciferic'---as if the only thing to be sought for
        is SELF-knowledge, SELF-this, SELF-that. And that is what attracts me to
        Steiner--- his teachings, taken the right way at least, do not divorce one
        from the world but enable a man to stand in the modern world and relate to
        it: no running back into ancient stuff, running away to monasteries.

        One might as well ask, "We have the Koran, why do we need any other
        books?" (as the lovely folks who burned down the library of Alexandria asked,
        and as the dead-heads in Iran have been asking for 20 years now). Well, maybe
        to heal your sick, or to grow enough food so your masses don't starve while
        your gurus withdraw into themselves (like India)? Some of us are interested
        in integrating spiritual knowledge with all the rest of man's knowledge, not
        setting it apart. Which one of these others you name has produced a cure for
        cancer? A new system of agriculture that can intensify the life-forces?
        Practical solutions to real-world problems?

        Eastern paths are great when you find the modern world too complicated
        and want to drop out of it, but none are useful for a modern Westerner;
        that's why Steiner for me. And one mark of this: none have the Christ....

        Dr. Starman
      • Sena Fernando
        Message 3 of 3 , May 24, 2000
          Thanks for your message,Dr.Starman,it does help me to clarify my
          thoughts.It is indeed interesting that while the Eastern philosphies
          are practised less and less in their countries of origin (I come from
          Sri Lanka),they have become fashionable in the West. I agree that
          Steiner's great achievement was to "integrate spiritual knowledge