Re: [steiner] Research update

  • Andrew Edwards
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2003
      Hello there,

      Sure I'd be more than happy to add a link to your group.

      The biological definition of symbiosis maintains that it is an association between two or more different species or organisms. For the purpose of my research these organisms will be defined as ART and SCIENCE.  The association may be permanent, where the organisms are never separated or it may be long lasting.

      Organisms that can be described as symbiotic can be harmed by, benefit from or not be affected by the relationship.

      I feel that it is important to investigate the development of art and science using a model of Symbiosis and Co-evolution.

      Digital symbiosis refers to the symbiotic relationship between art and science specificaly with reference to the relationship between art and applied digital technology.

      A good example of mutual symbiosis between art and science is the way in which the Pythagoreans used mathematical research to develop both mathematical and musical theory. The symbiotic manner in which these theories developed had a beneficial impact on both symbionts.

      The most important contribution of Pythagoras�s school was the work undertaken in the field of numbers and proportion. Indeed Pythagoras felt that at its deepest level, reality is mathematical in nature. The following theorems are often attributed to Pythagoras, or rather more generally to the Pythagoreans.

               The sum of the angles of a triangle is equal to two right angles.

               The theorem of Pythagoras - for a right-angled triangle the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides.

      The Pythagoreans also discovered the numerical relations of musical intervals.  They found that if a piece of string as a given tension is sounded on half its length, then the note would be an octave above the note on the full string. If the length is reduced two-thirds, the note would be a fifth higher. A reduction of three quarters would produce an interval of a fourth.

      My research is based on the necessity to gain a greater understanding of the relationship between art and science, to delve into the associations and to define symbiosis between these two entities. I am taking the premise that as I explore the relationship between art and science a structured method of defining and modelling this relationship will develop.

      Hope this helps,

      All the best

      Andrew Edwards

      digitalsymbiosis2000@... writes:
      Dear all,
      As you might have already seen www.digitalsymbiosis.com has undergone
      a few changes to reflect the new project that is being undertaken by
      myself and John Burnett and Trevor Mepham at the Rolle College of
      Education (Waldorf teacher training.
      The aim of the new site is to allow visitors to engage with us as we
      develop a new web presence for the works of Rudolf Steiner and
      Anthroposphy.
      This new site isn't the project itsself but rather it has been set up
      so that visitors can gain a greater insight into the work that is
      being undertaken and the progress that is being made.
      As you can see, there is still some work to be done with this
      virtual 'sketch' but I hope that over the coming weeks and months a
      true presence shall emerge.
      With regards to my research activities at Dartington College of Arts
      I have entered the 'write up' stage of my MPhil so I am busily
      developing my thesis for submission in January.
      I will keep you all informed as to my progress and no doubt post some
      questions for feedback.
      I am hoping that once completed the thesis will form a valuable
      document to all those wishing to explore digital technology and its
      relationship with art in a Waldorf educational environment.
      Thanks once again for all your emails and messages over the last few
      weeks and I look forward to hearing from you all soon.
      All the best,
      Andrew

      *******I visited it, but still have no idea what 'digital symbiosis' means. Perhaps you could tell us here sometime what you're looking to do.

         And maybe you could put a link to our group there? Right now there's just one to the so-called 'anthroposophy' yahoo group---- which, unfortunately, based on long observation, has very little to do with anthroposophy.

         I guess I should talk to Marcel about linking this one to the anthroposophy network.
      -starman
      http://www.DrStarman.net

      Post to steiner@egroups.com

      Search the archives of the group at: