The "Calendar of the Soul", Week 25 after Easter

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2003
      I'm sending out next week's Calendar verse early because I'm going to be travelling the next few days. We start with the new verse Sunday.

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These are well known to students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day--- a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces--- and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days.
      Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form for your use.

      *  M A N T R A  # 2 5  *

      Ich darf nun mir gehören
      Und leuchtend breiten Innenlicht
      In Raumes- und in Zeitenfinsternis.
      Zum Schlafe drängt natürlich Wesen,
      Der Seele Tiefen sollen wachen
      Qnd wachend tragen Sonnengluten
      In kalte Winterfluten.

      I now must belong only to myself
      And lightening, spread Inner Light
      Into Space- and Time-darkness.
      As towards sleep draws all natural Essence,
      The Soul's Deeps shall awaken
      And waking, carry the Sun's Glow
      Into the cold Winter-flowing.

      This week's mantram:
         The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we have in summer. Last week in the soul, there was an intense becoming aware of itself which reached down into the dark soul-contents, and through this the Will was unleashed. This week this developing self-consciousness places us in a state where it is necessary to be completely alone, so that the Light which is only within can be shed on the otherwise dark outer world. This is the solar essence we carry within us into the night-time of the year.

                                            **********************************
          The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation VIRGO from Sept. 8th to Oct. 12th in our era. A symbolic image of the VIRGIN done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday, October 5th. Moon Aquarius. Placidus (bringer of Christianity to Sicily in the 6th Century). 1582 The Gregorian Calendar became established.

      Monday,
      October 6th. Moon Pisces.  Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Angela (who converted Francis of Assizi to Christianity).

      Tuesday,
      October 7th. Moon Pisces. Serapius.

      Wednesday,
      October 8th. Moon Aries. Ephraim (Joseph's Son). 1502 Founding of the University of Wittenberg.

      Thursday,  October 9th. Moon Aries. Dionysius (he who conducted the counting of the years since the Birth of Christ and decided the the method for fixing the celebration of the Easter festival).

      Friday,   October 10th. Moon Aries. Full Moon. Gideon.

      Saturday,  October 11th. Moon Taurus. 1531 Zwingli died.

        P.S.  Brilliant yellowish Mars, still bright in its retrograde 'loop', dominates the night sky, visible in the Southwest after sunset, moving to directly south before midnight. The Moon will be seen near it Sunday and Monday nights.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

      *  M A N T R A  # 5 0  *
      Es spricht zum Menschen-Ich
      Sich machtvoll offenbarend,
      Und seines Wesens Kräfte lösend
      Des Weltendaseins Werdelust:
      In dich mein Lebend tragen
      Aus seinem Zauberbanne
      Erreiche ich mein wahres Ziel.

      There speaks to Man's I
      With mighty revelation,
      And its Essence's Power unloosing
      The World-Existence's Growth-Joy:
      "In you my Life carrying
      Out of its magic spell
      I reach my true aim."

      This week's mantra:
      We are heading towards spring, when our inner selves once more go to 'sleep', while the Earth instead awakens. Last week, we felt that what we have hoped for in the coming year will manifest. This week, we feel through the use of the mantra, how the world's joyous springtime growth speaks to us as human beings, saying that it is spiritually under a spell, which can only be overcome by us carrying it into our own deeds.