Re: [steiner] Celebrating Michaelmas & the stars

  • JP@Mison.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 21, 2003

      Pierre Gringiore wrote:  "the exclusion of the qualitative element from materialism is neither an accident nor an omission."

      My understanding is that the qualitative elements were consciously excluded from the modern scientific enteprise from early on, and for a purpose.  The aim was for objectivity and accuracy, so all subjective elements were to be omitted.  The emphasis was to be on what can be counted, weighed, and measured.  The guidelines of the Royal Society (founded in 1660) required that reports exclude things like metaphor or personal impressions and feelings.

      It seems that this exclusion had two results:  observation did grow in objectivity and clarity;  and the observers began to treat the realm of qualities, which they had decided to avoid, as if it wasn't real.  (Colors were ultimately reduced to wave-lengths, ideas to neurochemistry, constellations to accidental viewings of groups of gas-balls from this particular accidental piece of cooled gas-ball-spinoff.)  But the clarity of thinking that the scientific endeavor has achieved can be turned to the benfit of a scientific approach to qualities (and potentially to the realm of being they may bespeak).  As Pierre concluded, "the attempt to regain an understanding of the qualitative elements both in cosmology and in human nature, and to understand the relationship between them, is a highly significant activity for the twenty-first century."

      Again, I recommend "A Science of Qualities" from a talk by Owen Barfield at http://eyelight.webservepro.com/anthroposophy/soq.html -- excerpt below.
      And a look at the stars, with an eye to accurate perception of their light, forms, movements, and other qualities, and how these may resonate in us.

                           -- Joseph Proskauer

      "Rudolf Steiner is, as far as I have ever discovered, the only thinker who has made a certain very important observation concerning the Scientific Revolution and its place in history.  Its major significance, he said, for the future of mankind lay, not in the contribution it has made up to now to the general sum of knowledge of ourselves and the world about us, though it certainly has made a very important contribution to that (since knowledge of quantities is certainly knowledge); but precisely in its novel emphasis on accuracy.  And the real importance of this determined pursuit of accuracy lay, not in the results it was to achieve -- and has since achieved -- but rather in itself; in itself as a habit of thinking, or rather as a new kind of activity in thinking, a new kind of self-consciousness in thinking.

      What we call the Scientific Revolution then, was characterised by those two outstanding features:  on the one hand, exclusive attention to the material realm; on the other, a new self-consciousness in accuracy.  The second was correlative to the first and could not have come about without it.  But now that it is there, this faculty of accurate attention -- well, it is there.  And, there is no reason (Steiner insisted) why it should go on for ever being confined to the material realm.  Moreover, if it should go on being so confined, the only real contribution it can offer to humanity will be an increasing precision and ingenuity in technology.  And this does seem to be what is happening.  Scientist and Engineer have already become less and less distinct from one another -- at least in the domain of Rocketry -- and already there are not wanting those who maintain that there is no real distinction between technology and knowledge itself.

      If on the other hand this same self-consciously accurate mental activity -- not, you understand, the restricted methodology that has so far been based on it, but the psychological core of the method -- should now be brought to bear, not only on the material realm, but also in the immaterial, it will be a different matter."
      [Owen Barfield, from "Why Reincarnation" (a lecture given at Cambridge University, May, 1978), printed 1979 in Golden Blade]
      Message 39 of 39 , Nov 21, 2003
        A subject within this subject matter:  The southern cross constellation.  Was that an ancient cross buried within the earth perhaps either in Lemerian or Atlantean time?  When the trees used to fly along with humans and the trees were some type of healing form.  Then some wise guys got bored one day and cut that tree down and it became the southern cross which became the southern cross constellation.
         Some people were actually killed with that southern cross (tree) because they were trying to save it from harm.  These ancient Atlanteans or Lemurians were buried along with it inside of it.  Some of these people in human form today experience pain in the middle of the shoulder blades as a result of this galactic drama.  Has anybody heard anything similar to it or make some sense out of it?  It is very interesting to me.  I have this pain in the middle of my shoulder blades as well.  It has become a seasonal thing.  Every June of the year as summer really approaches it flares up so badly I can barely function.  Chantel