Calendar of the Soul, Week 22

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2003

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These are well known to students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day--- a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces--- and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days.
      Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form for your use.

      *  M A N T R A  # 2 2  *
      Das Lichte aus Weltenweiten,
      Im Innern lebt es kräftig fort:
      Es wird zum Seelenlichte
      Und leuchtet in die Geistestiefen,
      Um Früchte zu entbinden,
      Die Menschenselbst aus Weltenselbst
      Im Zeitenlaufe reifen lassen.

      The Light out of World-Widenesses
      In my Inner lives as a continuing power;
      It turns into Soul-Light
      And shines in Spirit-deeps,
      The Fruit to unbind,
      That Man's Self out of World's Self
      In Time's course will allow to ripen.

      This week's mantram:
          Last week, that which was received spiritually from the Summer Light and Warmth was felt as an ongoing power within releasing the fruit of its working, to evolve a Self out of the World-Self. This is because, at the time of change from Summer to Winter, we cease to be conscious of the external world and instead become conscious again of ourselves, as if awakening from a summer dream-state. Our Nature-Consciousness strives to become inner Self Consciousness, but at first we may feel fear due to no longer being able to lean on outer things for consciousness, which is why the symbol of the warrior archangel is placed before us at Michaelmas, summoning us to have courage, for we are not going to die as our summer nature-consciousness wanes, but rather wake up. This week's verse is the first appearance of Autumn dulling the senses' summer brilliance; but that which has been gained from the summer-experience now becomes our inner self-experience.
          The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation VIRGO from Sept. 8th to Oct. 12th in our era. A symbolic image of the VIRGIN done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

       Sunday, September 14th. Moon Taurus.
                Festival of the High Cross.
                Heraclius, brought in 629 the Cross of Christ to Constantinople.
                1769 Alexander von Humboldt born.
                1887 The Philosopher Freidrich Theodore Vischer died.

      Monday,  September 15th. Moon Taurus.
                         Nicodemus (who in John's Gospel was made a leader).

      Tuesday,  September 16th. Moon Gemini.
                            1736 The Natural Scientist Farenheit died.

      Wednesday,  September 17th. Moon Gemini. Justinus.

      Thursday,  September 18th. Moon Gemini. Last Quarter. Titus (School of Paul).

      Friday,    September 19th. Moon Cancer. Eustachius.

      Saturday,  September 20th. Moon Cancer. Castor.

          Brilliant yellowish Mars, at its brightest doing its retrograde 'loop', dominates the night sky, visible in the Southwest from shortly after sunset, moving to directly south by about midnight.
         The Moon can be seen near the planet Saturn very late Friday and Saturday nights (about 2-3 AM).

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:
      *  M A N T R A  # 4 7  *
      Es will erstehet aus dem Weltenschoss
      Die Sinnenschein erquickend, Werdelust.
      Sie finde meines Denkens Kraft
      Gerüstet durch die Gotteskraft
      Die kräftig mir im Innern leben.

      There will arise out of World-Womb
      The Senses' shine to quicken, Growth-Joy.
      It shall find my Thinking's Force
      Prepared through the Gods' Forces
      That forcefully in my Inner self lives.

      This week's mantra:
      We are heading towards spring, when our inner selves once more go to sleep while the Earth awakens. Last week, we felt by working with the mantra how the surging new life in the outer world would have benumbed our souls if the force of Memory hadn't come in to play its proper role of preserving the Vision the Spirit had of what it wishes to create this year. This week, we feel how we find joy in that growth, and that our thinking is well prepared through the Divine to receive the world's revelations of new life.